A Curious Dilemma

Hello y'all! This is your wonderful author, who is here to thank you for your incredible support. Honestly, we're at 1.9k ALREADY??? I love you guys!

*reaches through the screen to give you a hug*

~A. Brooks

July 21st, Alternate Universe, Midnight

Sophie:

Wandering through cold Havenfield pastures at night was, not surprisingly, cold. Honestly, shivering was pointless by now. I couldn't move my arms.

Keefe wrapped his arm around my shoulders, offering minimal warmth. I leaned into his arm, so cold that I didn't care. Why were July temperatures this cold?

(It's almost like the author wanted Sophie and Keefe to have a romantic moment!)

"Fitz?" I called, my breath creating a cloud that swirled through the crisp air. "Are you h-here?" I snapped my fingers, remembering what Keefe had taught me: Friction creates warmth. I sighed in relief as a wave of warmth crept up my arm, but didn't stop Keefe from rubbing my shoulders for some reason.

A figure stepped out of the shadows. "Hey, Sophie," said a familiar voice. "I'm glad you came." Fitz walked over, half-smiling. "I wasn't entirely convinced you would."

I blushed, blaming my red cheeks on the biting wind, then remembered that I was regulating my body temperature. "Why would you think that?" I asked, gently unwinding myself from Keefe's embrace. I nearly ran over to Fitz, entangling him in a hug. "I missed you," I whispered in his ear.

"You have no idea," he whispered back, wrapping his arms around me and lifting me up. "It's been weeks since we last saw each other."

"Hate to break up this Fitzphie reunion, but if you guys could hurry this up and actually get to the important stuff, that'd be great," said Keefe, interrupting our moment and causing me to step away from Fitz quickly.

Fitz glared at Keefe over my shoulder. "You're interrupting our touching and meaningful reunion. We haven't seen each other in weeks!"

"Yeah, we get it, Captain Cognate," said Keefe sarcastically. "But honestly-"

"What did you just call me?" asked Fitz, looking very confused. "Captain Cognate? Sophie and I aren't Cognates. You haven't called me that in... 28 years or so."

"We're not Cognates?" I asked at the same time that Keefe inquired, "You guys aren't the unbreakable Fitzphie duo?"

"Keefe!" I told him, exasperated. "We're not the 'unbreakable Fitzphie duo' or 'Cognate power' or 'the Wonder twins' or whatever! We're just Sophie and Fitz!"

Keefe coughed out the words, "Sure didn't look like that while you were 'just hugging,'" then feigned an innocent look. (He was really bad at it, but I'm almost positive that was what he was going for.)