THREE

I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said don't leave me here alone
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

The car ride to his house was deathly quiet. His barrier was back up as soon as he started the engine. My safety became his first priority, as it always is.

He pulled down a long driveway, surrounded by trees.

"Where are we?" I asked.

He didn't respond. It felt like we drove down the driveway for a good 5 minutes before I finally spotted a house coming into view. It was enormous. It looked like a Victorian home with a giant porch that wrapped around the porch. The grey brick and white columns blended perfectly together, creating a homey feel to it.

"Wow," I muttered.

Jaxon parked the car. I began to unbuckle but he grabbed my hand, stopping me. I felt my skin tingle again. He pulled out his phone and dialed a number.

"Is everyone in location? Good. Did you check the house? It's clear? Good. Stay alert."

He hung up and reached over. Chills ran over my body at his closeness.

"What are you doing?" I sounded winded. I mentally slapped myself.

He smirked. He unbuckled my seatbelt for me but didn't move. His face was so close to mine, I could smell his minty breathe and his cologne.

Gosh, he smells good.

His eyes held mine for a minute and I took that time to examine every part of his face. His exquisite green eyes held a mischievous glint in them. His lips were so plump I wanted to reach out and touch them. His strong jaw looked like it could slice through anything. His nose was a tad bit crooked.

Must have broken it, I thought.

I finally let out a breath when he leaned back into his seat, unbuckling his seatbelt as well. He hopped out of the car and ran to my side but I had the door open before he could do it for me.

"You've got to stop doing that," he groaned.

"Yeah, yeah."

"I'm serious Lyla. I could lose my job and then you'd be stuck with one of these dimwits as your head of security."

"You're making me unsure if staying here is a good idea if they're all dimwits."

"They're good at their jobs. I just don't think they could protect you like I can."

I smiled and lightly touched his arm. "I know, thank you for taking such good care of me."

His eyes glanced down to my hand and I pulled it away as if I had been burned.

His face held no expression as he quickly pulled me inside before bolting the door. He signaled for me to stay where I was and checked the house very quickly.

"Okay, we're good. You hungry?" He asked as he came back into the foyer.

"Not really."

He nodded. "Let's go sit in the living room."

His house had a very rustic, homey feel to it on the inside. There weren't very many windows. I guess that's a good thing. He sat on a brown loveseat and I sat on a black sofa.

"Such a bachelor pad," I laughed.

"I'm rarely ever here. It's sad."

"You don't ever come home?"