thirty-nine

Taehyung awoke the next morning with a headache like he had never felt before. The second he regained consciousness, he just wanted to go back to sleep and not wake up until he could be assured it was gone. The pain, and the disgusting taste leftover in his mouth from whatever alcohol he had consumed the night before.

Yes, he knew he had drank. But that was basically it. Being at Bambam's party and nearly passing out in the kitchen, and then...something. No, someone. Someone carried him here. He didn't get here on his own, that was for sure. The problem was when he tried to remember anything from last night his head throbbed, so he figured it was best not to think at all. And luckily, his question - well, one of them - was soon answered after the door to his dorm was opened, and someone walked in.

"Oh, you're awake. That's good. Listen, I know you said one time you hated black coffee, so I just got you French vanilla with cream and sugar. And a bagel."

Taehyung didn't respond. His head had started throbbing despite his attempts to avoid it by not using his brain. He squeezed his eyes shut, then allowed his gaze to travel over to his roommate's bed several feet away. It was empty.

"He came back like an hour ago," Jungkook said, making his way over to where Taehyung was. "He left right away, though. Apparently had an early class. Do you have class, Tae?"

"...no. I mean, I dunno." He groaned and placed a hand over his own forehead. "Even if I did I'm not going..."

"Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it, either." Jungkook smiled and lowered himself to sit beside Tae. Then, after making sure the boy was looking at him, he held out the coffee and bagel he had just gone out that morning to pick up. Taehyung could only stare tiredly at it, though. Tiredly, and in confusion. "Coffee is good for hangovers, according to people on the Internet. I wasn't sure if you'd have one, but I figured it was likely...seeing how drunk you were last night."

Taehyung's stomach churned. He couldn't get his words out, though. so in that time before the gears in his head started moving again, he accepted the brown paper bag and styrofoam cup Jungkook had kindly brought for him. Then he swallowed his breath.

"Jungkook..." He heard his own voice shake. Jungkook looked at him closely. "Was there...I mean, did I...say anything...last night?"

He was suddenly struck with the memory of Yoongi that night when their group of friends gathered to watch a movie, and the whole incident with Yoongi mistakenly drinking champagne, and clinging to Jimin and the sweet words that had trickled out of the older boy's mouth, and so on... Merely the thought of something having happened made him frantic. And the delay before Jungkook's reply was even worse.

"Oh, no, nothing really," he said, waving his hand dismissively. "Don't look so pale. You're so pale, Tae. You must feel awful."

"I do." He cringed. "Very awful."

"Mm...well, let's hope the coffee and bagel will help you feel at least a little better, hm?"

"...right."

He couldn't dismiss the sickening feeling - not from the hangover, but the one in his gut that insisted there was something more to this. Something he was missing. He didn't want to flat-out call Jungkook a liar but he also wouldn't deny that he felt the boy was keeping something from him. Whether small or significant, there was something.

"Jungkook, are you...sure there wasn't anything...? Like, I didn't drunkenly ramble about some stupid stuff, did I? Or do anything weird...?"

"Mm..."

There was a pause. Jungkook turned his head away to stare at his now folded hands in front of him, an inscrutable expression upon his face. Taehyung grew even more uneasy.