Chapter 33

HOME OF COL. JOHN CASEY

ECHO PARK, LOS ANGELES CA

Casey set the mop into his broom closet after washing it in his sink. His mind was calmer than it was when they first came back to the home and he couldn't help the small grin creeping up on his face as he thought about just how it was he was made to feel better.

Amelia was more like Chuck with his prying and being all open with her emotions, not to mention having expected him to be open with his as well. It made him incredibly uncomfortable. He was a man, he worked through his problems in silence, sometimes with a little bit of alcohol to help.

Casey expected her to stay in her room and sulk about him not talking to her. It was something he expected but at the same time, the flash of rage and frustration that made him toss the glass into the sink in the first place was powerful and unexpected.

The fact that she came running to make sure he was alright was the one thing he hadn't even considered. She cared. That woman he was caring for, cared for him on a more personal level. Casey couldn't get away from the look in her eyes when she reached for his hands, inspecting them for injury. She cared. She was concerned. She didn't chastise him or make him feel bad for his outburst.

Her tender touch and her giant doe-eyes changed his demeanor as well, bringing out something more primal than even he thought he had in him. He had to take her. He had to own her, to share the pain, share his own agony with someone or he was going to break something else.

Casey looked in the direction of the bathroom, listening for and hearing the tub filling with water. He debated on getting in with her, the relief he felt was more an aphrodisiac for him than anything he had ever experienced before but he figured she could use some alone time.

A chirp from his cell phone caught Casey's attention and reluctantly he shifted his eyes from Amelia's bathing direction to the little screen in his hand.

"Hi, Dad," Alex's cheerful voice filled his ear and caused Casey's eyes, if not his entire stoic face, to light up.

"How are you, Alex?"

"I'm touching base with you, Colonel. How did your friend like her clothes? They fit, right? Does she need anything else?" Alex's questions were fired in rapid succession like an AK-47. Casey patiently waited until her questions were finished before attempting to answer them.

"They fit, she likes the sundresses the best, like the ones you like to wear. Some of the shoes are smaller, but we haven't hit upon anything else she might need. You did good, kid."

High praise from her father caused the young woman to blush and glow with a wide smile.

"That's fantastic, dad. If there's anything else..."

"Well, did you just call for that information?" asked Casey, genuinely confused.

"Well, ok but you have to promise you won't freak out, ok? I want to make sure everyone's working parts stay working after this conversation, so you need to promise to be calm."

Casey's face grew dark and he had the feeling he wasn't going to like this at all and wondered if it wasn't too late to take the question back.

"Alright," he growled into the phone, taking it upon himself to sit on the couch before being spoon-fed bad news.

"So, Morgan and I have been dating for quite some time. And I know you approve, otherwise he probably wouldn't be walking for the rest of his life," Alex began, silently hoping he was sitting down.

Casey grunted, seated though looking as though he was ready to spring into action.

"I'm thinking about talking him into us moving in together," Alex finished. Casey was silent on the other line.