Nine: An Unexpected Friendship

~Nikki~

March 27th, 2012

I slowly pulled into my driveway, hoping not to make too much noise. I also was praying that my headlights didn’t shine into anyone’s window when I turned in. I’d been gone for about six and a half hours, so it’s now 1:30 in the morning. I probably should’ve spent the night at Misty’s, but then I would’ve been too tempted to ask her about that fight between her and Nick. I honestly couldn’t take hearing anymore shock or drama. Clair showing up to get back with Chandler was my fill for the night. Really for the whole freaking month.

I slowly stuck my key into the lock, turning the knob as slow as I possibly could so it didn’t make a noise. As I stepped into the entrance, I looked around the dark room. Not a single light was on. That meant everyone was asleep. I don’t know if I should be happy that I’m not being caught sneaking in at 1am, or if I should be upset because no one waited to see if I even made it home safely. What a loving family I am.

I was just about to walk up the first step when the light in the living room flicked on. I froze on the spot, not sure what else to do. “Dear Nikki. Back so soon?”

“Clair?” I said in shock as I turned around. She was the only one sitting in the living room. I thought Nick would’ve at least stayed up long enough to yell, then report back to our Mother tomorrow morning when she got home from work. I’m honestly shocked beyond belief that it’s Clair, of all people, who waited for me to come home.

She smiled slightly before sitting down on the couch farthest from the stairs. “Come. Let’s have a chat, darling.” she told me as she patted the empty cushion next to her. When I hesitated to move, she sighed and crossed her arms. “It’s either me, or a very angry Nicholas and Chandler. I think I’d be the lesser of the two evils, as you all say here.”

I actually gave my two options a thought. I mean, Chandler and Nick mad by themselves is pretty scary. But them together and mad at the same person? I don’t even want to think about it. Sighing in defeat, I walked over to the couch, tossed my bag on the floor and sat next to Clair with a grunt. I’m not looking forward to having a talk with her. Can you tell?

“Now,” she started, crossing her legs and turning to face me. “Since you’ve been flouting about all of the night, let’s start with where you’ve been, yes?”

I wanted to tell her that it wasn’t her business, because it honestly isn’t. I mean, in less than two weeks I’ll be a legal adult. Why are they treating me like I’m a kid? It hasn’t been too long since they were 17. “I was at my friend Misty’s house.” I told her truthfully. I might as well tell her. The sooner I do, the sooner I can get upstairs.

She nodded. “Alright. I believe you. That’s really all I wanted to know, Love.” she told me with a smile before it faded and her face grew serious. “Please do not do that again. You frightened Chandler immensely. He was worried sick. The only reason he’s not down here is because I made him go to bed.”

“Why would you do that?” I blurted out before thinking.

She laughed. “He has a job interview tomorrow morning. He’s also looking for an apartment.”

I stared at her, completely confused as to what I just heard. Job interview? Apartment? But why would he do that if…“I thought you were here to take him back to London?”

“Me? Take Chandler back to London? Heavens no!” she told me in a voice that said my words were the most hilariously farfetched things she’d ever heard before bursting into laughter. “My dear, Chandler is moving back to America. Not too far from here, as I’ve been told. I’m afraid you’ll be stuck with him for quite some time.”