Tested

Her eyes had adjusted enough that she could see the outline of Elon's figure and his glittering eyes.

"So I take it you believe me?"

"Obviously—or I wouldn't be here." She stepped closer to him, until she was near enough that if leaned forward, she'd be embracing him. "I know this is petty, but I don't like Esmeray. And I'm not sure the people here want to be saved."

Elon didn't speak, but she could feel his gaze on her.

After a few moments of shifting from foot to foot, she sighed. "What deal did you make with Zorelle?"

"Nothing of import. I knew you'd try to come for me and that you'd be captured in the process, so I asked to see Zorelle and I requested that when you came, she'd allow you to enter and speak with me."

"But that's what you received in the deal. What did you give her in return?"

"I said I'd try to persuade you to stay—and to not escape."

Something within her deflated. "I see." It seemed their discussion was over. It wasn't as if Elon could be persuaded from this path; he had a plan, after all. She turned to walk away.

"You're going to be tested, Carissa."

She stopped. "What?"

"That's another reason we've come here."

"So I can be tested?" She turned back towards him.

He nodded.

"You don't think I trust you?" She flung her arms, gesturing to the tent around her. "What do you think I've been doing this entire time?"

"You've been trusting me. And it's been hard, hasn't it? This journey is as much to strengthen our relationship as it is to reach the Esmerian people."

"And I'm going to be further tested?"

He nodded. "The tests will get harder from here."

"Will I pass the tests? Will I trust you?"

"No."

Her chest twisted at the thought. "Then perhaps allowing me to be tested isn't a good idea."

"Even if you fail, Carissa, I'll be there for you. And it's not the failure itself—it's what you do after you fail that matters."

Carissa glanced back at the tent entrance, where purple light shone from the edges. Eventually, she'd have to go back out there, have to leave Elon. What would they do to turn her against him? How could she prevent it? Could she prevent it?

"Carissa."

She dragged her gaze back to him.

"I wouldn't allow it unless it had the potential to help you."

"You're not worried about losing me?"

He laughed. "No, never. You're mine, and nothing can change that now—not even you. Even should you quit loving me, nothing will change my love for you."

His words struck her. She hoped that wouldn't come to pass. She wanted to keep learning to love Elon... but perhaps learning to better trust him was just another way of learning to better love him. She closed the distance separating them and wrapped her arms around him.

He was bound in chains, their metal links digging into her skin. Elon kissed her temple and tucked her shoulder beneath his chin. Nothing stirred within the tent but their steady, intermingled breathing.

She loosed him. "I should go." At his nod, she headed towards the opening. She paused at the threshold and glanced over her shoulder. "I love you, Elon."