Chapter 31

The past few months have fallen into a routine. I get up, go to the cafe. Austin gets up and goes to the office. We've hardly touched each other since the miscarriage. We kiss, of course, but neither of us had the courage to have sex again.
Kane and Morgan are dating. They are perfect for each other. When he gets loud, she gets louder. She's a perfect match for him. But, she didn't give in easy. She told him that his drinking was going to stop, at least to the extent he had been drinking.
Calli and the DJ were still together. I rarely saw her anymore because she's been traveling with him but we still call each other everyday.
Now, I'm sitting on the couch with my feet propped up. Austin walked in and plopped down beside me.
"Hey," I said.
"Hey."
"How was your day?"
He grunted.
We sat in silence.
"I miss us," he finally said after a moment.
"What?" I asked.
"I know that we lost the baby but why have we let it effect our relationship? We hardly talk. Every conversation we have is about nothing of importance. Don't even get me started on the fact you won't even touch me."
"You don't touch me either," I grumbled.
"Because I'm afraid to." He ran his hand over his face in frustration. "I don't want you to go through that again."
"So, we're never going to have kids? Because you're afraid to touch me?"
"No-I don't know Anna."
I sighed and stood. He grabbed my hand and pulled me back down.
"Of course I want to have kids, one day. But, I want to do it right this time," he whispered.
"What?" I asked. I got off the couch and dropped to his knee in front of me. My hands flew to my mouth as he grabbed a small black box of of his suit pocket.
"Annabelle Parsons," he said, opening the box. "Will you marry me?"
I began to cry. "Yes!" I yelled.
"Yes, yes, yes! Of course! Yes!"
He laughed as he pulled me up from the couch and spun me around. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him as hard as I could.
"I love you," he whispered against my lips.
"I love you," I smiled.
••••••
"What?" Calli screamed. "He did it without telling me?! I'm his sister!"
I laughed out loud. It felt so good to laugh again.
A knock sounded at the door. "Hey, let me call you back. Someone is here."
"Okay. But you better call me back! I need all the details."
I laughed. "Will do. I love you!"
"Love you sis."
I walked to the door and opened it. Kane was leaned against the door frame.
"Hey!"
"Hey Anna."
I stepped aside to let him in. "What's up?"
"I just wanted to come by and congratulate you."
"Did Austin tell you?"
He grinned. "I went with him to design the ring."
"What? When?"
"The day of the wedding. Your exes wedding."
I smiled.
"How's Morgan?"
His smile widened. "Great. We're going out for our anniversary tonight."
"That's great. How are you?"
"I'm doing pretty well. How about you, Anna? How have you been since-?"
"I'm okay. I'm much happier now. Austin and I finally discussed it. We haven't said much about it since it happened. We haven't had sex at all."
"Damn. Really?" He asked.
"It's been awful. It's like we were strangers living together."
"I'm sorry."
"It's okay. I have a plan," I winked at him.
He chuckled. "Oh, do you now? And what's that?"
I smiled, thankful that it's no longer weird between Kane and I. Ever since he and Morgan began dating, he's been completely over me. "Well I can't tell you my plan! You'll just call and tell him!"
He laughed. "Yeah, you're right."
He began walking toward the door. "It was nice to see you Anna. I just wanted to stop by and check on you."
"Thank you Kane. Keep me updated on you and Morgan, okay? Y'all don't be strangers, come see me."
"Will do. See you later."
I smiled and nodded.
My phone rang again and I ran to get it.
"Hello?" I answered.
"Hey baby."
"Hey, what are you doing?"
"Come by the office. I need you for something."
I laughed. "Okay."
"I love you."
"I love you too, Austin."
I walked out to the car and hopped in. I smiled at my ring on my finger. My life has never been better than it is right now.
I walked through the front doors and straight to the elevator.
The door dinged, signaling my arrival at Austin's floor.
"Austin?" I called.
"In here." I walked to his office and he was leaned against his desk, smirking at me. I approached him cautiously.
"What's going on?"
He grabbed my by the waist and planted his lips on mine. Wow. He hasn't kissed me like this in a very long time. I kissed him back with just as much urgency and soon enough, clothes were flying. He made love to me right there on his desk. He picked me up and pulled me in his lap as he sat in the chair.
He smirked mischievously. "So what is this plan of yours?"
"He told you?!"
"I mean, I was gonna wait until tonight to make love to you but he told me and I knew I had to beat you to it."
I slapped his chest playfully. "You're awful."
"You love me."
I smiled. "Yes. Yes I do."