Fall Faster

"There's a fall festival in town tomorrow. You should totally invite Cabello." Cara suggests, making me whip my head around to her.

After I spent the night at Camila's, Cara decided to invite me over to watch scary movies in the spirit of Halloween.

"You sure?" I ask, frowning, as I reach over to grab more chocolate from the table.

"Yeah, why not? I've been talking to this girl, Ashley. I'll bring her so I'm not third wheeling." Cara shrugs, tossing some popcorn into the air before catching it in her mouth.

"What if-"

"Y/n, chill. She doesn't even go to our school. She's in college."

"Alright, yeah. Sounds good." I nod, pulling my phone to send Camila a quick text about it before adding, "So... Ashley, huh? How come you haven't told me about her before?"

Cara blushes, barely visible in the dark lighting of the room, though her voice remains stable as she explains, "We just started talking."

"Mhmm. Okay." I tease, glancing down when my phone informs me of a reply.

Camila 😘😍: Sounds good x What time?

After gathering the additional details from Cara, I relay them to my girlfriend and confirm that she can come.

"Great." Cara grins, leaning into my side as she tosses more popcorn into her mouth, laughing at a jump scare in the movie.

...

When Cara and I arrive at the festival, me having gone over to her house to get ready, we're instantly met with the usual smells and sights that come with both fairs and street markets.

"Where's Ashley gonna be?" I question while checking my phone for any texts from Camila.

"She said she was getting us some hotdogs so... oh, over there," Cara replies, pointing to a short line leading to a food truck. She has a broad grin on her face, along with a slight blush. I smile too, happy she's finally found someone to get this happy over.

As she begins to lead me over to the line, a blonde looks our way and mirrors Cara's smile, waving excitedly. That must be her.

"Hey, Ash." Cara greets her with a hug and a kiss on the cheek when we get there, "This is Y/n."

"Ah, hi. Nice to finally meet you." The girl smiles, holding a hand out for me to shake.

"You too." I reply, "And I tip my hat to you; Cara's a handful. Congrats on being able to manage her."

"Shut the hell up!" Cara whines, slapping my arm even as she curls her free one around Ashley's.

"Yeah, yeah," I reply teasingly, once again checking my phone. This time, it's not in vain.

Camila 😘😍: Here. Where are you?

Me: At food truck. You want anything?

Camila 😘😍: It's okay, I'll find you x

I find myself smiling giddily at the text, simply for the small 'x' at the end. Every little thing she does makes me fall faster, faster perhaps than I should be.

I blindly step forward with the couple as the line goes down a little, too busy thinking about being able to see Camila again. Sure, it hasn't been that long since we've seen one another, but I get excited when she leaves the room and comes back, so I'm close to ecstatic now.

In fact, I'm so distracted by the thought of her that I don't notice the real-life version of her step up behind me until she wraps her arms around my waist.

"Jesus Christ!" I call out as I jump, prompting Cara and Ashley to laugh as I spin to face the woman behind me, "You fucking scared me to shit!"

Her laugh fills the air as she tosses her head back, lifting her arms to lay clumsily on my shoulders.

"Hello to you, too." She greets once recovered, voice almost low enough to be a hum.

It's only now that I can admire her get-up. She's wearing a wide-brimmed black sombrero to match her black charro suit with white detailing. Her face is subtly painted like a skull, less dramatic than most. In fact, it seems she's done it herself with various black makeup pieces, including her lipstick which is practically begging to be smeared. Oh, what I wouldn't do to-

"You're staring." She whispers, sparking a heat in my cheeks as she so often does these days.

"With good reason." I return, hoping it'll help me gain back some control over myself.

She smiles, then looks down at herself, sighing. "It's el día de Los Muertos. I figured there'd be more people dressed up but I guess not."

"Well, you look stunning," I reassure her, my hands finally coming to rest on her waist, beneath her jacket.

"Hey, lovebirds!" Cara tells behind me, "What do you want to eat?"