6.4 The Empress's Rite

The quarters of the Empress is normally found on the western part of the palace. Often an individual room in a private land surrounded with flower gardens, an artificial pond, and plum trees. There are also lanterns and a small playground where children can play. However, Yu XueQin did not choose a quarter inside the Western Palace but a room nearby his own. An Empress is allowed to stay inside his chambers but there will be times when the Empress has to stay by herself.

The room is as big as a house with two bedrooms and a kitchen. The living room is decorated with the finest chairs with flower-patterned carpets covering the floor. The curtains are also embroidered with golden dragon in flight and maybe some flower patterns as part of the design. There are vases in every corner of the house and a flowing pond in the middle floor where anyone can just watch the fishes and relax.

JiDan poked unto the water of this small flowing pond with a stick. The koi quickly retreated on the lower ground to avoid the child touching them. Yu XueQin still paces around checking for cracks and holes on the walls, or maybe just taking time to analyze if the room is enough for an Empress level official. He looked over the kitchen and saw the most complete utensils needed for cooking. Satisfied, the emperor nodded and returned to the room where his son is still playing.

JiDan got bored playing with fish. He then copied his father's action by checking every corner of the house if it is safe or not. He has to make sure that his precious mother who is a harmless human can live in this place peacefully. He would look over the inside of the vases to check if there are snakes, would sniff in every decoration to know if there are any poisonous gases, and would crawl below tables and chair to see if there are hidden traps. The emperor only watched his son as he gleefully ran all the corners like a dog marking its territory.

"There's nothing to worry," he said. "Our rooms are closed enough."

JiDan just walked out from one of the two bedrooms and asked, "Why are there two bedrooms in here?"

"Why? Well, one for you and one for your mother," Yu XueQin replied.

"No! I don't want a room yet! I want to sleep with mother!" JiDan protested.

It is true that Yu XueQin intended that one room for his son. He just didn't expect that the child will refuse it. His evil father mind thought that JiDan looks cute when annoyed so he decided to become a great father and annoy his son for life. He walks to the side of JiDan and said:

"I'm the one who's gonna sleep with your mother."

"No! I won't allow it!" JiDan shrieked.

The emperor only heartily laughed as JiDan stomped on his feet and tried punching his gut. But what can this small boy with small fists and small energy can do? When JiDan realized that his father is too strong right now, he quickly ran to the room intended for Lang Yuan and locked it from the inside. He thought that Lang Yuan will never say no if he ask him to stay on the same bed.

Yu XueQin is about to tease JiDan more when he felt a shadow moved from behind. Though, he didn't turn around and just nodded. JiDan noticed the presence of another man inside the room so he slowly opened the door. He saw his father sitting comfortably on the huge chair in front of the small pond. In front of him are five people wearing black cloaks and wolf masks. They are kneeling on their knees with the leader sitting in front.

JiDan is familiar with this crowd. When they are travelling, often times, he could see black figures travelling through the shadows. The leader of the group is the one who spoke with the emperor on that time when he was trying to find information about Lang Yuan. Intrigued, he walked towards his father to listen.

The shadow guard is a bit hesitant when he saw the child coming. He then noticed the resemblance of the two aside from its eyes. JiDan looked at them carefully as if studying their form. The child looks up to his father with questioning eyes.