Chapter 34

There was a deep hammering in my heart and I'm sure Lionel's too as he sat at the chair beside my own, persistently reading over the article we had worked on together

There was a deep hammering in my heart and I'm sure Lionel's too as he sat at the chair beside my own, persistently reading over the article we had worked on together. Albeit, it was not a rather flattering article about Josh and Luke's business, focusing more on Luke previous endeavours that led to the creation itself.

"Are you sure it's ready? I can run over it a few times and make more—"

"Lionel," I pointed towards the screen, "you've worked so incredibly hard on this article and it's truly one of the best I've read. You deserve to feel proud when publishing it. Go on, press it."

I signalled to the submit button, allowing him to do all the work since he had completed a majority of it himself, and I knew that no matter what, there would be bias in my writing. I couldn't share a child with the person I was writing about and write non objectively about the twisted business he ran.

He finally pushed the button after much deliberation, a habit we would work on as he made his way through the company. "Congratulations Lionel." I brought him in for a friendly hug as I could practically feel the pride and excitement taking over his body, "make sure you celebrate tonight."

"Thank you so much for this opportunity, Savannah."

I smiled again in realising how much I truly loved my job. The work was just a plus to the fact that I could have a team of interns to guide and help in the way that I was at their stage.

My office phone began ringing as Lionel left the room, still with a smile etched to his features, wider than most as I watched him speak rather animatedly to a few other interns.

I picked it up with a grin. "Savannah's office."

"Savannah," Heidi, our receptionist's voice drawled out as I could feel her distaste radiating from just the tone of one word, "there's a—sorry hon, what was your name again?" Heidi rudely continued another conversation away from the phone before I could only assume she brought it back to her ear to finish what she was saying. "Madison Hunt I think it is. She's here to see you."

A deep pit formed in the very bottom of my stomach, causing a twist of uncertainty to run coarsely through my veins.

Why was she here to see me?

As far as I knew, the break up between her and Josh was to do with his dishonesty of Riley. It wasn't my information to tell and it never would have been. My mind worked a mile a minute through the endless reasons as to why she was at my office building and more importantly, why she was here to see me.

"So do you want her to come up or what?"

"Thanks for informing me, Heidi," I kept my voice professional, wanting so desperately to shout many profanities down the phone to the person I would happily fire if I could, "send her up."

I knew I couldn't say no. There was a reason she was here to see me and I couldn't deny her the chance of closure I was assuming she was trying to find.