Chapter 38

If you LOVE this story and want to know when the latest chapter is up, follow me on Wattpad. I update Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays!

______________

Everything was in an uproar.

Kami’s protests that he “couldn’t do that to her” were mingled with Yasmin’s entreaties that he reconsider. But when both Chris and Liam jumped in the fray and argued their points of view, Gedo had enough.

“Stop this babbling!” he cried. “I think I know what’s in the best interest of my granddaughter. I am half tempted to send Yasmin with her. If it were safe enough to send her home to her family, I would. This is not a place for children.”

“As if I am still in preparatory school!” Yasmin said scornfully. “Chris has done more to fight these creatures than the entire police force combined, and he’s not even twelve yet. You need us to get Neina back. If Kami wants to stay, she has the right. Neina is her grandmother too.”

“How did I ever raise such a disobedient child?”

“You never raised me to be disobedient, but you also never raised me to be subservient. You raised me to be an independent thinker and to speak my mind. It is too late to change that. I’m a grown woman now, and I am finding Neina.”

“Me too,” said Kami. “Besides, you never really invited me anyway, so it’s not like you can withdraw the invitation. I’m staying.”

Gedo threw his hands up in the air. 

“I’m surrounded by obstinate girls. What did I do to deserve this?”

Yasmin kissed him on the cheek.

“Where do you think we get it, Gedo?” she said, giving him a loving look. “I am so glad to have you back. I was so worried about you. I'm so glad at least you are safe.”

It was amazing to see the transformation, the softening of his features, and the affection in his eyes. Liam was right. Gedo was like putty in Yasmin’s hands. What defense did he have against that kind of love?

Kami saw it, but struggled to understand it. How do you show affection to someone who yells at you? Belittles you? It seemed easy for Yasmin, natural even. But Kami couldn’t help resenting his verbal thrashing. The words foolish female still rang through her mind. He didn’t even know her well enough to know if she was foolish. She didn’t need his protection. She didn’t want his protection, especially when he’d made it clear how much it put him out. 

Yasmin filled Gedo in on what had happened since he’d been abducted.

“I want to meet this Jemal Ibrahim,” Gedo said as he shook his head. “We need to understand the kind of power this jar piece wields.”

Haji left to bring the car around.

“I’ve already met the freak,” Samuel said, rubbing his neck absently, “and I’m not terribly excited about seeing Mr. Crater Eyes again. You all go ahead. If we’re going to pull this off, we need to do it soon. I’m going to buy supplies to build us all laser sabers. Christopher, you go with them. Hopefully you won’t run into any more shadow creatures, but if you do, they’ll need your protection. We’ll meet back at my compound. Sound good?”

Everyone nodded.

Samuel took off down the street in a brisk walk just as Haji pulled up. They climbed in and drove back to the building where Jemal Ibrahim lived. 

It looked exactly as they had left it. As they drew near to the door, though, they noticed it was ajar. Gedo knocked, but no one answered. He carefully swung the door open, stepped in and said something in Arabic that sounded like a curse.