Chapter 62 - The Family Dinner

A/N (11/1/18) - Of course I had to give you guys a double update for being so awesome and waiting. Enjoy! This is the chapter everyone's been anticipating (it's as wild as expected lol)

---

Michael tells Onai, "You look like shit."

"Gee. Thanks." Onai follows the wooded path back to our cars.

I follow Michael over the fallen leaves, watching my feet on unearthed roots. Shen follows behind me. I can feel her presence, and I don't know what to say. Is this a situation that necessitates an apology? I didn't know.

Bri trails up next to me and elbows my side. Not hard. Not forcefully. It's just a push of her arm. I look at her. She looks forward. Somehow, it's... I needed that. I need this. The stillness. The moment. I don't know what we're going to do.

"I'm just saying." Michael says, still behind Onai. "You should rest instead. We could reschedule."

"First, the world abuses me, then they starve me." Onai scoffs.

Michael smirks, half-irritated, half-amused. He nudges past Onai and reaches his car first. "Suit yourself." He turns back, and our eyes connect as I finish the trail. He mouths, 'Are you okay?'

I shrug. I don't know. It's a lot to take in.

Suzie and Krys get in one car to go back to the pack house with Shen and Fei. Michael, Bri, and I head to the other car. Ethel stays behind to help Onai get home. He waves to Fei as Shen brings her up by the window. He tells Shen that he'll be back soon. Shen holds his gaze for a moment before she nods and looks at me.

She opens her mouth to say something. Then she closes it. I do the same a couple times.

"I'm really just happy she has a pack now," Shen finally says. "So..."

"I still wish it was under better circumstances," I say.

"This kind of was our better circumstance." She glances back at Ethel. "I'll see you soon?"

He nods. Fei waves back to him and at Onai. Shen hesitates, then she waves to all of us as Suzie pulls off. I stand in silence with Ethel and the others.

It's one of those situations where you don't know quite what to say next, so you don't say much of anything. You say, "Be safe." You say, "I'll see you soon." You say, "Are you sure you don't need anything?"

Michael sits in the backseat with me as Bri drives down the winding road. Michael puts his arm around me, pulling me against his side, and I get the same feeling I got when Bri nudged me. We go from here. I don't know how, or where, or why, or when, but we go from here.

###

Later that same day, Mom hands me eight plates to put on the kitchen table. One for every member of our family, plus two for Carson and Michael's guest.

"Um..." I start.

Mom raises an eyebrow.

I tighten my grip on the clear dishes. "Actually..."

"... Carson isn't coming?" She rubs my shoulder gently. "It's okay, honey. There'll be others—"

"Yes!" Dad throws Charlie into the air, catching him on the way down.

Charlie bursts into a fit of laughter.

Mom smacks Dad's arm. "Hugh."

"Oh, it's okay, Mia." He puts Charlie down before pulling me into a 'comforting' hug. It feels more celebratory than anything. Dad rocks me back and forth, laughing the entire time. "There'll be plenty more fish in the sea after college—"