( 10. ) Slang/Accents ✓

Ya' done heard it here, folks. It's time to be learin' all 'bout that slang.

I adore adding accents to books, basically because it gives your character so much more definition, and sometimes the reader can actually hear the character's voice in their head. Adding the right slang and apostrophes in certain words gives that effect perfectly and I will be explaining that now.

APOSTROPHE
We know our friend, the apostrophe ('). Well, he has way more uses than to just show possession. Contracting words creates a certain accent based on how you show them. We are and we're are read completely different. Alike how wishing and wishin' are also different. Both are read with less emphasis on the end of the word(s), giving the accent's effect.

Ex: We're goin' out tonight for Lena's birthday.
or— "We are going out tonight for Lena's birthday."

SLANG
We do it in text more often than spoken, however some people love to add these words to their actual spoken dictionary. When doing dialogue with slang, I don't recommend you writing it out like "omg Rebecca said..." preferably, "O-M-G..." because that is the grammatically correct way of doing it in speech. But for the love of everything holy, do not use "lol". I have never heard anyone actually say that one in real time.