Jessica

She was seriously just out on a case.

That's literally all she was going to do that night. Well, that and drink.

Regardless, trying to calm some kid down wasn't on her agenda.

But she sure as hell wasn't going to leave the kid alone.

Seriously, it wasn't even six in the damn morning, it was freezing and the kid was just on the ground hyperventilating, she wasn't a monster.

"Well, shit." Was her initial reaction.

Because come on! How was she suppose to calm a kid down.

"Hey bud?" She called out walking further into the alley, ignoring the mess that littered the floor. "Fuck." She said when the kid didn't register her their. "Hey kid!" She said a bit louder as she came up to him.

He winced and looked up at her. 

Well at least he wasn't a kid kid, he looked like he could be, maybe, fifteen or sixteen.

"You ok?" Stupid question she knew, but what the fuck was she suppose to ask?

The kid, stared at her for a while.

"Can you even hear?"  He blinked and she sighed. "Listen, I'm tired, where are your parents, kid?" He blinked- fuck- he blinked a tear away. Damnit he was still crying.

She wasn't saying he couldn't cry or whatever the fuck BUT she couldn't deal with a crying kid.

He sniffled and wiped his tears on his jacket. He said something along the lines of. "I don't have any." but she paid more attention to the face, she had seen that face before.

"Of course." She rolled her eyes. She turned to look around. "Does anyone in the damn city have them." wondering out loud, before turning to him. "Aunt? Uncle? Grandma?" She asked and saw he start to shake his head. "Foster care?" As a last resort she asked.

"No." He said and she was defiantly thinking 'shit'

"Ok, tell me you're not homeless?" She asked thanked whoever was up there, that the kid shook his head. "Great. Where do you live? I can get you a taxi-"

"i can't go ho-"

"No- listen I don't care whatever life time movie is going on at your house, kid." She said grabbing his arm but he began to pull away, not that it mattered. Well it didn't until he managed to get out of her grip, even after she tighten her hold. She turned to look at him and saw he looked determined. "How did you do that?" She asked turning her full attention to him.

"Wh-"

"Don't play dumb- you don't look the part." She grumbled and crossed her arms. "I'm guessing you left home cause you thought you could protect them better away?" she guessed, but that was case with half of the 'mutants' she met.

"What?- No, they know-"

"They?" She sighed and went on. "So what is then? Why can't you go back?"

He didn't speak up, but looked at her, his eyes landing on the camera she had on.

"You're a pho-?"

"A Private Investigator. I don't take pictures of the sky and call it art." Jessica rolled her eyes, the frowned, seeing the kids eyes harden into something more determined.

"Can I- I need - If- I need your help."

"I don't do charity-"

"I'll pay you!"

"You're like ten kid-"

"Seventeen!"

"You can't affor-"

"I need to find the guy who did this to me!" He said standing his ground, and she tensed a bit.

"What? You were an experiment?"

"Not what gave me my po- The man who..." He went silent and she did not have for the dramatics.

"Spit it out already."

"Who  tortured me, please, I know I don't have a lot of money- actually I have some but- but I could still pay you! I j-"

"I'm sorry Annie, did you just say you were tortured?" Jessica really didn't plan this.