21

Knock, knock, knock

Knock, knock, knock.

The repetitive tapping bounced around the spacious room, ripping Arryn out of her empty dream. Her eyes fluttered open to find the ceiling bathed in sunlight. She lowered her gaze to the clock on the wall, which continued it's ticking.

Dad? She thought, glancing at the doorway.

The knocks repeated. Moments later the door creaked open to find her childhood doctor walking into the room.

"Arryn? Are you awake?" Dr. Martin's soothing voice questioned.

"Yes," Arryn answered with sleep still lingering in her voice.

She looked just as Arryn remembered. Black, wavy hair rested on her shoulders. Her doe eyes shone a dark brown. In the sunlight, her light brown skin seemed to radiate.

"How are you feeling?" Dr.Martin asked. She took a seat beside Arryn on the bed and placed her cold hand on Arryn's forehead. "You feel warm."

Arryn shifted her position, attempting to sit up. The world started spinning, and within seconds she came crashing back down on the pillow. Damp moisture clung to the back of her neck, sticking strands of her hair onto her skin.

"You've got a fever." Dr. Martin pursued her pink lips together in thought. "How long did your wound go untreated?"

"Five, maybe six hours." Her heart picked up its pace within her chest."Am I going to be okay?"  She thought she was in the clear.

"We caught Dante's within two hours of infection. His had only just started to spread. I think since we caught yours so late, it's going to take more effort for your body to fight it off."

Her heart settled slightly at the hopeful prognosis.

"My dad, has he left already?"

"Yes, they left as soon as the sun came up. I've been instructed to watch you closely and make sure you rest today."

"I don't want to feel useless. Is there anything I can help do from bed?" Arryn asked as her fingers brushed against the sweaty skin on her palm.

"Yes. You can sleep," Dr. Martin replied. "I'm going to get you something to eat and some more medicine. After that, I expect you to rest. Doctor's orders." She winked at her own joke.

"Fine," Arryn agreed. Dr. Martin did have a point. Arryn felt exhausted like she had just finished running a marathon. Each breath she took sent an ache over her body. Pressure built up in her temple as a headache threatened to form.

"Be right back," Dr. Martin said, patting Arryn's hand. With a nod from Arryn, she stood up from the bed and exited the room.

 With a nod from Arryn, she stood up from the bed and exited the room