Royalty and Ruin: 3

'Your Farringale?' I squeaked. 'The eaten-by-ortherex one?'

Her lips twitched. 'The very one.'

Right. I needed a moment.

See, visiting Farringale was an eye-opening experience. We went there looking for a cure to a disease that was decimating the surviving Troll Enclaves at the time. We found another disease, or more rightly an infestation of all-devouring parasites known as the ortherex. They had, in effect, eaten the population of Farringale alive.

The buildings were still there; the city still stood. But it was an empty shell — one swarmed over by trillions of the repulsive things.

I reminded myself that we were not being asked to revive Farringale ourselves, only to find the means to do so.

'So,' I said, having exchanged a look with Jay. 'You are hoping that someone on the Fifth Britain knows how to get rid of these ortherex beasties.'

'That is our hope,' said Naldran. 'Our good Alban has already consented to undertake the search. Will you oblige us by joining him?'

'Forgive me,' I said, 'but surely you have people enough for such a task. Why employ us?'

'Because,' said the king, and paused. 'Because you seem to have a way with these things.'

I could sort of see his point. It was actually Jay who ended up finding the Fifth first, because he had somehow secured the affections of a perambulatory haunted house. And off she had taken him. I'd found him later, by a separate route. We'd learned a lot about the Britains, and subsequently made it home again — avoiding the memory-wiping enchantment that most of our colleagues (and enemies, among Ancestria Magicka) had been subjected to.

We did have a way of landing on our feet.

What's more, Melmidoc Redclover might even consent to talk to us, and he was the man — sorry, the spriggan — who seemed to know everything.

I looked at Jay again, who stared back, clearly trying to convey something with his eyes.

I had no idea what it was.

'May we have a moment to confer?' I said.

Queen Ysurra inclined her head, exquisitely gracious. 'Please.'

It seemed rude to just walk out, so Jay and I withdrew to a corner.

'What do you think?' I asked him.

'Yes.'

'Yes? Just yes? No ifs, buts, doubts or worries?'

'I have some of all of the above, but so what?'

I blinked at him. 'Are you really Jay?'

'Every inch of me.'

I stared.

'Okay, okay. I know we are probably not supposed to go anywhere near the Fifth again. I know that the Ministry would be unhappy with us if they found out. I know there are risks, and rules. But I want to go back. I always wanted to go back.'

'Me too.'

'Okay then.'

So that was that. We returned to Their Majesties, and the irritatingly smirking Baron (yes, fine, Alban, I know our answer was entirely predictable), and gave them to understand that we would be eighty shades of delighted to accept their proposal.

Queen Ysurra actually smiled, a real one. 'How wonderful. If it is agreeable to you, you shall leave in the morning.'

Jay held up a hand. 'Moment. How are we to get there?'