A Place of Lost Souls

"𝚆𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚜𝚘 𝚊𝚌𝚌𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚒𝚜𝚐𝚞𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚟𝚎𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚜, 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚗𝚍, 𝚠𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚜𝚐𝚞𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚟𝚎𝚜."

The storm that day filled the sky with green and gray ominous clouds, it was as if God himself was giving a glimpse of what was to come. The rain wouldn't let up as it pounded into the ground below, creating small rivers that pooled at everyone's feet.

But no amount of rain could wash away the sorrow that replaced the oxygen in the air. It was impossible to keep it out as the thunder roared beyond the hills.

They had found Molly.

But not warm and safe in the arms of her parents. 

But cold, bruised and beaten as her naked body was partially covered with forest foliage. She had been dead for just days when they found her. Shedding new light on the theory that she was alive for much of the time that she was missing.

Her death was ruled a homicide.

The sheriff's department was keeping most of the details from the public. Just the basics of how she was found and the condition of her body were noted. But Anna knew her father and she knew how murder cases such as Molly's worked.

If they were withholding information, it was because they felt it wasn't necessary for the public to have knowledge of the gory details, for sake of the family and the integrity of the case. But that didn't stop the whispers and the rumors on what exactly might have happened to her.

The night the news broke, Reese made the smart decision to clear his party. 

And after Anna arrived home, she'll never forget her father's face when he stripped himself of his uniform.

It was as if he was shedding the hideous things he had seen in the woods after the grim discovery, concluding the rumors of the suffering Molly endured. The strong sheriff who spoke so confidently at the press conference, in front of flashing cameras and slimeball reporters, was a shell of his former self.

He didn't speak, only nodded to the few questions his wife had asked and disappeared upstairs for the remainder of that night.

In the days following, the town fell silent, preparing to lay Molly to rest. And everyone, including Claire and her pretentious family, came together to pay their respects.

The sea of black umbrellas crowed around the large white tent that housed Molly's family. The oak casket being the focal point of everyone's eye as the pastor blessed Molly's life, adding to the darkened atmosphere. The large while lilies laying on top of the oppressed wood were the only light reflecting against the downpour.

Anna stood close to her father, glancing to him once in a great while. Hoping that somehow, he'd show some form of emotion.

But his eyes remained blank. So empty that Anna wished her mind would take notes and free itself of the burdening questions she had, at least until the funeral was over.

Looking to her left, beyond the crowd, sheriff deputies waited near the line up of cars, watching and waiting for any suspicious activity. Turning to her right, past her mother and sister, her eyes fell upon Reese. 

He was dressed in a fitted suit, the dark fabric matching his olive complexion. She watched as his father, Nicholas, rested his large hand on his shoulder. He was a powerful man, not only being the sole heir of the town but in the way of his compelling and forceful nature. He was all business.