-Chapter 21-

Suddenly I'm hearing glass cracking under my boots as I approach Clint. Where did the glass even come from anyway? The questions are racing through my head at lighting speed as I get closer to him.

"Hey? It's just me" I say moving around to face him.

He visibly startles at the sound of my voice, but still says nothing.

"Jarvis? Did anything happen while I was gone"? I ask holding my hands up in a non threatening way.

"Agent Barton received the after action report from his most recent mission" Jarvis reports.

I close my eyes, that would do it. The wounds just starting to heal only to be ripped open when he least expected it, no wonder he's on the verge of a panic attack.

"Did you get a look at it"? I ask, I have to get to the bottom of this.

"Yes Ms. Stark" He confirms solemnly.

"And"? I prompt knowing that Clint is too buried in his own thoughts to pay attention to what's going on around him.

"A child was killed, the protection detail was breeched" Jarvis summarizes grimly.

Oh my god. My mind quickly connects the dots, it was the child's blood on his hands on his suit, I feel my eyes feel with tears.

"Any other fatalities"? I ask my voice coming out strained and tight.

"The mother is now deceased" Jarvis says.

I bow my head.

"Was there a way to avoid the breech"? I ask trying to keep the waver out of my words, failing.

"Agent Barton thought a different route would have been safer, the lead agent thought otherwise"

He blames himself.

"Thank you Jarvis" I say to him.

Once I'm sure Clint hasn't cut himself on the glass I reach up and I take his face in my hands at least this time he's not covered in the blood. As soon as I touch his skin, his head jerks up at the contact for me that's a good sign he's not too far gone.

"Hey? You with me"? I ask in a quiet voice, searching his eyes for any hint of recognition.

I get a fraction of a nod from the archer, without a second thought I pull him into a hug similar to the way I did Tony when he was on the verge of full blown panic. I project warmth into his head as I hold him hoping to push away the fear. It works I feel the tension melt away as he leans more heavily on me, I guide him back to the couch a place not covered in glass.

"Thanks" He mumbles keeping his eyes closed.

"I know what happened and I'm so sorry Clint that agent should have listened to you. Nothing even close to that should have happened" I say holding his hand in mine.

He nods again, we stay like that for a while me holding his hand, him simply working through his feelings of which I am sure there are many.

"Was Steve ok"? Clint asks after a while.

"A little roughed up but otherwise fine, the trainees made it out with one hell of a story to tell the rest of the class" I sigh pulling my gloves and gauntlets off.

"I'm sorry I wasn't with you- nothing happened but I was worried that something might" He says running a shaky hand through his hair.

I nod not having the heart to tell him how much my head hurts or how my vision is swimming.

"I told you I had it and I did. Tony is right Fury should make me an Avenger for real" I say getting up to stretch after sitting for so long.

He blinks at that, a shocked look falling over his features.