08

My shaky hands grab as much items I owned and shoved them in an empty bag I found roaming around. I push the fallen pieces of my hair aside, so I could concentrate on this task.

The house has been silent for days now. Nobody wandering downstairs in daytime. Just me, making movement here alone.

I didn't care where the rest had gone to. I didn't want to care. Well, at least I couldn't. I refuse to let those emotions take over again. I haven't slept or eaten in days, not really knowing when I'll ever feel normal again. I didn't want to, at least not just yet.

I zipped up the first bag and moved onto the next. Doing the same as before. My body ached, and I knew I couldn't stay here for long. Not after I found out about the truth.

My head snapped up once I hear heels clicking on the hardwood floors. I glance through the door, exhaling a breath I didn't know I was holding when a specific blonde walked through.

"And for a second I was going to file a missing person's report." Rebekah's accent speaks through the quiet room. When I didn't reply to her, a frown appears on her lips and she steps forward. "Well, what's wrong, Maya? What are you doing?"

"Leaving." I answer, keeping it short and simple. Fear coated my emotion, scared I was going to breakdown in front of her if I explain too much.

"When will you be back? I still want that date we rain checked awhile back." she tells me and I exhale a breath. "I'm not coming back, Rebekah."

"What do you mean?" she asks. I'm surprised she is clueless to what has happened. Unless, she hasn't been paying attention at all.

"There's no reason for me to stay anymore. I'm going back home."

"No reason? That's silly, Maya. There's me, Nik, the baby..." she carries on, but immediately stops once she sees my reaction. "Did something happen?"

I knew she cared. I could practically hear the concern seeping through her voice. "Yes, but, I-I can't talk about it." The words that came out already sounded shaky.

Rebekah takes an understanding nod and sits down on the bed, placing some of my clothes to the side so she has some room. "Did my brother do something?"

I keep my head low, but nod. I continue with my duty and let silence fill the room once again. Just thinking about it has me on the verge of tears and I didn't want one drop to slip because I know Rebekah will ask questions, regardless if I'm ready to tell her or not.

But, it was too late for that. The exactly opposite of what I wished for come true and I was crying all over again. I didn't make a sound but, the tears were noticeable.

Rebekah immediately sits straight forward, grabbing my hand. "What the hell did my brother do?"

I don't even know where he went. I assumed he went to give himself some space or something, but after a couple days Hayley was back and then she vanished a long with him. Elijah was nowhere to be seen and Rebekah was supposed to be leaving, but she stayed once she realized Hayley and I were missing. Elijah and Rebekah have popped in once and awhile though.

Rebekah's arms wrap around mine and I realized she was no longer sitting on the bed but standing in front of me with supporting words. "It's alright, love. You don't have to tell me now."

After I calmed down a bit, we sit on the bed in silence until she speaks. "It makes sense you're not at the French Quarter if you two are fighting."

I didn't even know what she meant. Did he take Marcel's home? I shake my head at her question, "We're not in a fight. It's over between us. For good."