Chapter 54

Third person pov

They'd just got to the tower, and lying there, Shikamaru couldn't help but think solely about Arron.

Of course, he'd been thinking of her this whole time. He was more scared for her that he'd been for himself and his team in that forest. What if he got back and all the progress she'd made was out the window? Gone? He shivered at the thought. What was even worse was... well, what if his parents had called for someone to come get her? Without him there, they could easily drag her out.

"Shikamaru, I can feel your anxiety from over here. Calm down! You'll get to see her tomorrow." Ino assured. Shikamaru frowned, but didn't say anything. Choji was sprawled out in the recliner in the corner. His snores were keeping Ino up, and the team had gotten almost no sleep the last few days as it was. Not the mention Shikamaru was thinking so hard she could all but hear it. The Yamanaka ground her teeth. "She's fine! She's strong, but it won't do you any good not to get any sleep, Shikamaru."

"What a drag." Shikamaru grumbled, rolling over onto his side. He forced himself to relax, taking several deep breaths. A nap would make him feel better, right?

Ino was right. Arron was strong, and she'd be fine.

~

Mothball was small, with stubby legs and no arms, but god damn was he fast.

Arron let out a small shriek of surprise as the creature shot off the couch, and Shikaku jumped. They both leapt to their feet as the small thing's face widened, and they stared in absolute horror as he ate a bookcase. Whole. With a burp, he took off again, speeding right for Trexx. Arron didn't hesitate to dive into action, rushing after him. Shikaku wasn't far behind.

"Trexx!" Arron didn't care how loud she was being. Mothball was going to eat the whole house! "Catch him!"

Trexx swiped down at Mothball, but the shadowy creature ran right between his legs and under him, turning the corner sharply. He looked odd, with no arms. Arron swung around the corner, rushing after him. Shikaku cursed under his breath as the thing went. Yoshino was going to absolutely kill him.

"Shit!" Shikaku cursed as the creature ate a small table, and the vase of flowers on it.

"Mothball!" Arron sped up as much as she could. She was in no way in shape, and was already beginning to feel the strain of sprinting. But she had to get Mothball. Shikamaru probably wouldn't be too amused or proud if he came home to half the furniture in his house gone.

Shadows raced past her, but they weren't her own. She watched them attach to Mothball. "It's not working." Shikaku was next to her now, but she was too panicked to be scared of him. "We've got to catch him before he makes it to-"

Arron and Shikaku both paled as the creature jumped a good seven or so feet in the air, taking the light fixture clean off in a single bite. The thing chortled before darting off again, taking three bookcases out much to the horror of Shikaku and Arron. Trexx lumbered after them, but speed really wasn't the guy's forte.

Arron forced herself to go faster. Shadows chased her, but this time they were definitely hers. Mothball took out some more furniture and a very long, very expensive looking rug in the process. Arron took a deep breath. She could hear Shikaku behind her, and she took a risk, pushing herself a little more before she finally dove in for the kill. 

She didn't like Shikaku being behind her. It made her nervous, but as she flew through the air, she didn't much care. Time seemed to slow as she went. She thought about how proud Shikamaru could be if she actually managed to grab Mothball and prevent him from eating and eating. Not only that, but she was exhibiting teamwork, wasn't she? With Shikaku? She didn't know.

Mothball let out an ungodly chittering noise as Arron's arms wrapped around him. Her eyes widened as he jerked and pulled against her. He was small, but incredibly strong. Arron held onto him tightly as he struggled to move forward, dragging her across the wood floor as he headed for a rather old looking table that was no doubt worth more than the rug Mothball'd devoured. "Arron!" Shikaku called. She felt hands on her ankles, but she was too tired and spooked to care.

Shikaku pulled her back, but Mothball wasn't having it. "Bad Mothball!" Arron hissed. "Drwg!"

This seemed to give the creature pause, which caused Shikaku to accidentally yank Arron back. He fell back as Arron rolled into a sitting position, wrapping her legs around the creature to try and cage it as it shook and trembled, buzzing in her grasp. Trexx finally showed up, panting. Arron pushed Mothball down as he tried his best to jump and bounce away, looking at Shikaku with wide eyes. He stared back with a similar look.

"I... did not think that would happen." The Nara man admitted, glancing at Trexx. Trexx was so well mannered compared to the creature Arron had deemed Mothball.

"Don't eat things." Arron hissed. "Nac! Drwg!" 

The creature let out a small shrieking sound. Trexx hissed at it in Welsh, and it fell still, it's white eyes drooping. Arron didn't loosen her grip on it, and didn't even flinch when Shikaku scooted closer, eyeing it cautiously, ready to catch it if it tore free. Arron removed and arm, slapping the thing hard on the head. It let out another screech of protest.

Shikaku watched Arron curiously. She didn't seem so scared of him anymore, but that was probably because she was so focused on Mothball, who seemed sad. Like a scolded dog. Arron lifted him with both arms, and Trexx pulled her to her feet. Shikaku rushed to follow in suit as Arron began to violently shake Mothball.

"What are you-" Shikaku jumped back in surprise as one of the bookcases Mothball had devoured fell right out of the creature, crashing to the ground and sending many books scattering. The thing let out a whine, but Arron didn't stop, shaking him a few times and slapping his head more. It reminded him of someone trying to get ketchup out of the bottle, but it was all still stuck at the bottom.

Trexx began to drag furniture away as more and more fell. Lights that were still sparking fell the ground, as did books. Shikaku was glad to see the long, Persian rug make a comeback. Yoshino would have smashed his head in for that one.

"Dim bwyta." Arron hissed. Don't eat. The girl looked to Shikaku, suddenly seeing mildly embarrassed. She shuffled her feet, her face becoming unsure as she squeezed Mothball. "Blin." She said quietly, pushing back the sudden panic and barrage of tears that seemed to appear within her, before quickly correcting herself. "S-Sorry."

"It's... It's fine." He chuckled, shaking his head. Arron set Mothball down cautiously, shaking a little. He plopped down on his butt, sitting dejectedly. He clearly didn't like being scolded. "Would you like to help me with..." He looked at all the books flooding the hall.

"Ie." Arron smiled a little bit, nodding, her voice quiet once more as the adrenaline that came from chasing Mothball faded and was replaced by a deep anxiety. She took a few slow breaths, her heart thundering. Her chest felt impossibly tight, but she'd be okay. She'd be just fine.

She wasn't sure if she'd be getting many points for this one, but at least she wasn't so terribly scared of Shikaku anymore.