f i f t y

The next morning, Antony found himself, once again, behind his desk, wading through the seemingly endless paperwork that required his attention. When Kade entered his office with hardly a knock, he was grateful for the distraction.

He took in the look of frenzied excitement and determination on his general's face and immediately pushed aside the documents.

"What is it?" he questioned, noticing that his hands were gripping the edge of the desk.

"I just received a message that a few of the spies I sent out have a name and some information about who's leading the spate of attacks we've been experiencing." Kade sat down in the chair across from Antony and leaned forward.

"A name?" said Antony.

"Yes. Apparently the man running the entire operation is named Nathan. There is another man who is frequently seen at the scene of the attacks, although we don't know his identity as of yet. He seems to serve in the capacity of general for this group of people who, as of now, have been classified as rebels."

Antony sat back in his chair. "Having the name of their leader and an approximate location is, of course, very helpful." He looked up. "I want him brought in as soon as possible. The more quickly we can end this threat to the empire, the better."

"Of course," Kade nodded. "I'll send my best men."

"Thank you, Kade," said Antony. "I appreciate your quick action, and your finding this information."

Kade nodded once more and left.

Antony stood and departed soon after, encouraged by the progress that had been made in ending the danger to the citizens of Astoria.

He smiled when he reached the first floor and saw Meredith pushing Nash along in a wheeled-chair. The boy looked much better than he had yesterday, his color having improved after a night's comfortable rest.

"He seems to be doing better," he remarked as he reached them and took in Meredith's joy at her brother's improvement.

"He is," she said. "Aren't you Nash?"

The little boy grinned at Antony and nodded.

Meredith straightened and shrugged. "I was surprised to come back in the evening to see that he had eaten his soup and was resting just as I'd hoped." She came to stand next to him and they watched as Nash clumsily wheeled his chair down the hallway as fast as he could to greet Samantha who had just come from the library. She smiled. "I don't know what changed, but I'm glad that he seems to have come to terms with things." Her smiled faded somewhat. "Of course, I wish this hadn't happened, but seeing him happy again..."

He gently put his arm around her and she leaned her head on his shoulder. "I'm glad he's improved," he said, smiling as he saw Nash chatting happily with his sister. He recalled the boy's last whispered words as he left the room yesterday, asking him to "keep this between us so I can surprise Mer".

At that moment, Nash wheeled back over. He gestured to Antony.

Antony leaned down so that Nash could whisper in his ear. "Antony," he said. "Do you love my sister?"

A bemused look crossed Antony's face. "Perhaps...Is that alright with you?"

"I suppose so," whispered Nash. "'Cause you're nice and you're my friend."

Antony chuckled. "That's good to hear," he replied, straightening once more and winking at Nash. Nash grinned back and took off once more for the end of the hallway.

***

Isabella frowned at the two fabrics that her mother held out for her inspection.

"Why change anything, Mother?" she asked, exasperation lacing her voice. "The red curtains with gold tassels that the ballroom already has are just fine. They're the colors of the empire of Astoria!"