Chapter 14

Friday, October 22, 2018

Braelynn nervously scanned the crowd until she spotted her family and friends in the fourth row there to support her. She also spotted Trey a couple rows back which made her take a deep shaky breath.

"He tells me I'm beautiful, everyday.

The better part of him, hear him say

Now as you watch from far away

All I can say, I'm so sorry"

Most of the people had came to the talent show to see kids embarrass themselves or act a fool on stage. But as soon as they heard Braelynn's voice they all seemed to revert their attention to her.

"I'm sorry you didn't know how to love me,

I'm sorry I wasn't beautiful to you.

I'm sorry you just didn't understand... how to be my man.

I'm sorry you couldn't make me happy,

I'm so sorry you never learned how.

I'm sorry it had to be this way

But my heart is so good now..."

By this time many people were standing up and cheering for her which put her at ease. Javion stood up yelling for his sister. Tyler stood there with his arms crossed as he intently watched Braelynn vocalize. Her mother sat there emotionally, she promised herself that she wouldn't cry but she was just so proud of her daughter. Dre was also yelling for his best friend which caused Tyler to look at him some kind of way.

"All I can say, I'm sorry...

I'm sorry you lost me."

And with that, Trey stood up and walked out of the auditorium. The crowd applauded Braelynn as she walked off the stage.

"That's my sister right there!" Javion yelled while clapping.

After the program was over Braelynn went to find her family.

"Oh shit bestfriend!" Saniyah yelled while almost tackling her. Aria's little footsteps followed closely behind her and she hugged Braelynn's leg.

"Hey my baby!" Braelynn exclaimed while picking Aria up off the floor and kissing her cheek.

"Hey Brae! You sing good!" Aria said before throwing her arms around Braelynn's neck.

"I'm proud of you man!" Dre said while side hugging her.

"Okay sis!" Chris cheered while walking up to them.

"This prejudice ass school. You should've won that Brae" William snarled while hugging his daughter.

"Mhm." Javion agreed. "You did that shit."

After everyone congratulated Braelynn they mainly stood around talking. Braelynn looked around for Tyler but she came up with no such luck.

"Hey, I'm about to go to the restroom real quick" Braelynn told Saniyah and Tasha before walking off.

She wandered the Hallways until she saw Tyler standing in front of the school's trophy case. It made sense that he would be there since he was all over it. He was on many highlights of the football season over the last 4 years. His Junior and senior class made it to the state championships two years in a row. Good was an understatement.

"I don't think you've ever noticed me but every since my freshman year, I would go to every game with Jay just to see you play." Braelynn spoke while she stood beside him. "Why did you stop? You could've went pro, you were really good."