ten (2nd draft)

Xavier

I couldn't take it anymore when I had woken up so I left. In all my life, I had never felt regret this badly before. It seemed as though everything I did added to the list of her problems. Growing up and even then, I didn't care what people had thought about me. I'd rather be an asshole than a loser. But there was something about Adriana. I needed her to know that I wasn't heartless and that I was not a liar. Her opinion and perspective meant everything to me and I had no idea why.

I forced myself to walk out of my room. As soon as I did, I ran into my father.

"Xavier."

"Yes?"

"I'm going to be gone for, more or less, a week. I'm leaving right now," he stated. In his hands were duffle bags and they didn't look to be filled with clothes. 

"May I ask why?"

"It's in regards to the whole Gabriel situation. Alejandro needs my help."

"With all due respect, but what can you do? It's not like you, a drug lord, can help him, a mafia man."

He chuckles at my question. Not the reaction I expected. "I do know some very powerful people that will help them track down Gabriel. Listen, don't tell Adriana where I'm going or why. If she asks, tell her I'm going on an annual business meeting."

"But I -" I hated the thought of lying to her. She already didn't trust me. I didn't want to give her any more reasons to hate me. 

"Xavier. I need you to do this for me. Alright?"

"Okay," I sighed.

"Thank you. I'll see you in a week. Love you, X."

"Yeah, you too. Be safe." I gave him a quick hug and he left.

I went back inside my room. I got out my sketchbook and started drawing. I put my headphones on and mindlessly drew. I turned my music as loud as I possibly could.  Bye, bye hearing. At this point, I've covered pages upon pages with drawings. Trying to distract myself from Valentín was difficult, to say the least. Maybe she was right. Perhaps, we should go back to hating each other. That was easier. All I've got to do is push my feelings far, far down and hate her. There were lots of things I hated about her. Who am I kidding, no there wasn't. Even the things I hated about her, I liked.

She seriously had me wrapped around her finger.

I thought I had heard a knock on my door, but I brushed it off. I seriously could barely hear anything but my music. I quickly closed my sketchbook when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I turned around and saw that it was Adriana.

I took off my headphones and set them on my desk. It was so loud that you could still hear the music. "Valen-"

"We're going to IKEA," she stated. Adriana did not ask if I had the time but simply said we were going out. As time when by, she got less and less shy. Gone was the quiet girl she was when she first arrived. Now, her opinions and thoughts were tattooed in the air and I admired her for it. I couldn't say the same for myself. I tried keeping everything to myself in fear of fucking up. Of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't screw myself over every now and then.