Chapter five

The next morning I woke up because of my dad slamming close the door of his pick up. I hope he isn’t drunk. I don’t like him that much but I also don’t want him to die in a car accident.

I sat up. Fuck, my ribs. I moaned in pain. I lifted up my shirt. Black and blue bruises all over them. Fuck it. I had PE today. Well, I’d make up another lie why I couldn’t join that class.

I already used the ‘I’ve fallen off the stairs’ and ‘I had an accident with my skateboard’. I can’t even skateboard.

Well, I’d think of another way to get myself out that later.

I carefully stood up and went to the bathroom. I took a quick shower. The water hurting my ribs as it fell down on them. And then to think I had to get dry too. I was almost crying because of the pain.

I looked at my body in the mirror. It looked terrible. I didn’t know if I want Andy to see this. Or to see me like this. Well, I was sure I didn’t want him to see this. Or see me like this.

When I dressed myself, I took a painkiller. Then I ate some cornflakes as breakfast. The pain started to dull a bit and I could walknormally again.

I packed my bag and then walked to school. When I came there, I saw Travis standing there. Fuck it, I thought and walked further. I was lucky he didn’t see me.

I walked to my first class; biology. Andy stood already there.

Suddenly Juliet ran up to him and kissed him full on the mouth. Andy kissed back hesitantly. Then he pushed her away softly. “Hey baby” Juliet said. “Hi” Andy said absently. He looked at me, pain in his eyes.

Were they together? No, that couldn’t be true. This can’t be true. I want him. I don’t want Juliet to get him.

I know that’s very selfish but still. I want him.

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I looked at Andy one last time and a tear slowly slid down my face. Then I disappeared in the crowd. The bell rang.

I made my way to the toilets. The lessons would start by now. I was glad about that because I didn’t want anyone to see me and I didn’t want to see anyone.

I looked in the mirror; my eyes were red. My makeup wasn’t fully smeared yet, but one trail of makeup ran down my face and I let out a soft sob. I let my arms rest at the sink and tried not to cry.

But vainly. Soon started tears falling down my face, into the sink like rain drops.

Then someone opened the door. I turned my face to the side. “Hey” his voice said softly. “Go away” I said. “Ashley” his hand touched my shoulder. “Go away” I cried. “I’m not together with her” he whispered. What? Not? Why? But they kissed, right?

Then I realized I was looking like an idiot, crying over Andy. And he knew I was because of him. He knew I was crying because he kissed a girl.

 “I-I’m sorry I look like an idiot” I said. “You don’t” he said softly and pulled me into a hug. “Fuck” I hissed at the pain and softly pushed Andy away. “I-I’m sorry” Andy stuttered as he went red. “I-I shouldn’t have done that” he said, “I’ll leave”.

“No wait” I said and Andy turned around, looking at me with a not understanding look on his face. “I-It isn’t that I didn’t want to hug you but it- hurt” I sighed. “C-Can I show you now?” I asked hesitantly. Andy nodded.

I pulled up my shirt, revealing the black and blue bruises. Andy gasped “What happened?” he asked. I didn’t answer him. “I-Is this because of Juliet and Travis?” he asked carefully. I shook my head, “no, they have nothing to do with this” I said. “Then who did this?” Andy asked, still shocked. I bit my lip.

“I-I-My dad” I sighed. Andy’s eyes widened. “What?” he said in a small voice. “Ashley… I feel so sorry for you” he said. “You don’t have to” I said.  “I-I’m used to it, its okay” I tried to convince him. “A-Ashley, this-this isn’t okay” Andy said. I just shrugged. “Why did he do this?” Andy asked.

“H-he was drunk and he wanted food. I-I made him food and then put tomato sauce on his tacos, like he always does and then he called me worthless” I sobbed. “A-and then happened this” I said, shaky. I didn’t want to cry anymore. I didn’t want him to see I’m this weak.

“Y-You really should tell someone about this, maybe they can help you…” “I-I told you about it and- I don’t need help, it’s okay…” I said. Andy bit his lip. “Are you sure?” he asked. I nodded.

He softly kissed my cheek. I blushed.  “See you in class in about five minutes, okay?” he said. I nodded. “Thanks Andy” I said. He just nodded “You’re welcome”.