Chapter 40- Blessing in Disguise

Note: Reupdated/Republished this chapter because, for some reason, some readers were unable to find this.

****

XANDER'S POV

It's past midnight when I finally reach home from a short but tiring flight. I only booked a ticket to L.A. to confront Logan Miller in the prison and flew back here in Evanston in the afternoon. I haven't had proper sleep for the last five days, and the jet lag has been sucking my remaining energy like some fucking leech in heat.

I am just so stressed up and drained already. These life's storms had been non-stop hurling at me but I have to be strong for my girl, most especially now that I am finally going to be a father. Her pregnancy might not be totally confirmed because home test kits can give false-positive results sometimes, but I just can't wait to tell her about Logan's revelations. It would definitely make her feel a lot better.

How can you be so sure that it's yours?

To be honest, it literally felt like a huge burden has been lifted off my chest the moment Logan told me that he didn't actually rape her. I found it genuine. I can still remember how his hard expression softened along with the hint of dejection as he talked about his wife Nina James.

She is pure evil and it is possible that she just manipulated and urged him to do it, knowing how she hated Emily since the first time she met her. But my child or not, I have to triple my efforts in taking care of Emily now most especially because she was on heroin during the first weeks of her pregnancy. The nagging stress of thinking about a miscarriage and the huge chances of birth defects, prematurity, and a stillborn baby because of that fucking opioid that is killing me. I also don't think that she hasn't fully recovered from the withdrawal symptoms too, and these are just downright depressing and too much for her.

I am careful with my every move as I enter the Maxwells' house. I don't want to wake them up, especially Rebecca who can sense every single sound that reaches her tiny ears. I won't be surprised if she'll tell me that those fat hamsters Lance brought for my half-sister Hannah are actually barking.

The metal of the doorknob to Emily's bedroom is cool against my palm and I feel like peeing in the excitement to see her again as if it has been ten years since the last time I had a glimpse of her beautiful face. I twist it with ease, inwardly relieved as it is not locked this time, and discreetly enter the room.

My heart seems to have sunk the moment I saw her on the bed. She is wearing this oversized white shirt that I bought for her just last month. It has a Persian cat licking its paw-design in the center. It's the second time she wore that and I always love it whenever she uses and wears the things that I have given her. She is lying on her back with her head turned to one side, and one hand resting on her tummy...

A small smile stretches my lips as I approach the bed. I put my stuff down as softly as I can, shrug my leather jacket off my body, and sit on the edge of the bed beside her.

Emily always looked so innocent, cute, and sexy all at once whenever she's sleeping, and I could not able to take my eyes off her face — every time. But this time, all I see is a troubled girl...

A troubled girl that I so love with all my heart...

I lovingly caress her cheek with the back of my fingers, tracing the smoothness of her skin and drinking the sight of all the details of her profile. I would love to see this face brighten up again with that radiant, stress-free smile that always makes me melt like a very delicious, cheesy cheese from those expensive restaurants.

My hand travels down her stomach. It is still flat, but knowing that there is a little life inside there is again making my eyes glisten with tears.