Xue Yang (xxii)

Their plans for the following day had already been decided by Feng Xinya's superior. Even if the prior meeting with Xue Yang's parents didn't go smoothly, Xue Yang was still their legitimate son and the Xue mother and father still valued him as such.

Moreover, regardless of whether or not Xue Yang cared for the heir position, his existence would remain as a thorn in the mastermind's side. The mastermind was his own aunt.

As for her motive, they would have to talk to the Xue head more for the details as the Xue family secrets were held strictly within the parties directly involved.

That was why despite Xue Yang's discomfort, the two had ended up walking right into the expansive four-story mansion.

Xinya didn't have to explain or persuade Yang into returning to his former home because it didn't take a genius to guess that in order to assure his long-term safety, the threat had to be taken care of from the roots.

He knew that he couldn't blame his parents for his experiences, especially since he knew who the true culprits were. But there were always a multitude of questions that floated through his mind when he saw them.

Why didn't you try to dig deeper into the matter?

It never crossed your minds that the corpse wasn't truly mine?

Why didn't you ever suspect aunt? Or any of your other enemies for that matter?

"Welcome back, Young Master."

The two figures, one tall and one shorter by two heads, walked through the luxurious manor doors that was held open by the teary-eyed head butler sent by the Xue head. This butler was one of the oldest employees of the mansion. He had been around from the prime of Xue Yang's grandfather's reign.

To him, the current head was like his own son, while Xue Yang was like his grandson. So, when he had received the news that the young master had died in the car accident all those years ago he was just as hurt as the Xue head and madam. Naturally, he was also ecstatic that their young master was back and alive!

It was just unfortunate that their relationship could probably never be repaired in this lifetime...

He had initially intended to try persuading the young master to give the master and madam a chance to redeem themselves, but when he considered the things the poor boy had gone through all alone for the past twelve years he didn't have the heart to do that to him.

It was already a grace that his young master was willing to show himself at the manor at all.

He further swallowed down his words when he greeted the gloomy yet undoubtedly elegant figure of his young master at the door of the mansion. He was no longer the sweet little boy who smiled and laughed carefreely yet with poise and refinement. And, although his eyes were still as untainted and filled with innocence as they'd been as a child, there was a darkness lurking within as if he'd experienced all of the vicissitudes of life that he could have within those twelve years of captivity. To his chagrin, the butler also did not miss the shred of indifference within Xue Yang's eyes that could rival even the strong and tall soldier walking beside him.

The saddest part, to the butler, was that his young master had experienced the life of which he should have never been exposed to as the pampered only son of the most powerful man in the world.

What use was the position at the top if one couldn't even protect their own child?

Xue Yang refused to show his weakness as he had done the night before. This time, he stood beside Feng Xinya. His back was straight, and he had on a stainless white suit with shining pointed-toe leather black dress shoes. His platinum blonde hair was styled so that the bangs were shifted to the right side of his face but tucked behind his ear to give himself a clean look.