fifty-six

||CHAPTER 56||
《¤》

I settled beside my brother at the table when we arrived at Hotel SenRay, where the Mehra's were awaiting our presence. The greetings were robust and boisterous, over-boarding the pleasantries of the situation. They had booked us a table by the glass wall, overlooking a floor tall water fountain outside the main building of the five-star restaurant.

"Aur Arvika beta," Sujay Uncle, Vansh's Dad turned to me, "Padhai kaisi chal rahi hai?"

I gave a tight-lipped smile, "Sach bolu ya kisaano ke khudkhushi ka report doon, Uncle?"

The adults laughed, entertained by my gruesome reply.

"Waise," Dad joined, "Achhi hi chal rahi hogi. Vansh jo tutor kar raha hai!"

The first reaction I gauged was of my brother, who subtly turned to me, his head slightly tilting on his curled wrist, mouthing to me, "What is he talking about?"

I glanced at Vansh who was sharing a similar sense of humour. I shrugged at both.

"Fir tho aur bhi achha hai, nahi Samveda?"

Mrs. Mehra gave an appreciative nod. "Your daughter, Binoy, is really a diamond. We read about her acquiring the Yatis Hotels for your industries. Arvika, really very impressive."

I looked at Daadi who was giving me a mild smile. These were the situations in which I was supposed to be blushing. "Thank you, Auntie."

The waiter arrived to take our orders, and I observed the decor of the hotel. A chandelier was hung in the middle of the ceiling, casting a yellow glow throughout the floor, bouncing off the velvety brown walls. The paintings on the walls were abstract descriptions, a vivid splash of colours contrasting with its surrounding. Pleasing to the eye, I liked it..

"...don't mind at all, actually."

I had zoned out, but when I tuned back in, I choked. "Uhm, sorry, what?"

"You don't need to look so flustered, Vika," my father chuckled. "We said it's alright if you and Vansh start dating. You don't need to hide anything from us."

Confused, I looked at Vansh again. What was happening?

"In fact, I always routed for you," Mrs. Mehra winked. Winked!

The adults were laughing again. Me and my brother looked at each other. "What are they talking about?"

"I'm sorry," I said out loud, trying to grab their attention. "Par baat kis baremein chal rahi hai?"

"You and Vansh," Mr. Mehra said. "We only mind when you guys go behind our backs and date. Sharm kis cheez ki? Sugarscale had an article about you two... And the sales did increase then. It;s actually better if you both get well associated from an early stage."

"Good for what?" I frowned, the cogs in my brain finally turning. "The... company image?"

"Uhm," my father intervened. "Yes, Arvika. The Mehra's and Deewan's are forming a merger company. Under your names," he pointed towards Vansh and me. "So, if you guys are associated for a better future, profits are going to get a hiked by around seventy six percent. The young media already dotes after you two, doesn't it?"

This was history repeating itself. This was my mother's throwback to me.

"And it's not like you two don't know each other," Mrs. Mehra added. "The three of you have been chuddie-buddies for a long time."

"Well," Mr. Mehra spoke, "From now on at least, you don't have to hide you relationship from anyone. Unless it's affecting your grade, make it as public as you can. Under set limits, of course."