You Seemed Hesitant

Camila's hands subtly slide down to my backside, taking a handful in each and squeezing softly, enough to make me jump slightly and try to swat her hands away.

"Um..." I drawl, trying to cover up her actions despite the way both Cara and Ashley quirk a brow, "A hot dog, I guess."

"Me too," Camila adds, smoothing the seat of my pants before raising her hands to my hips. I can all but hear the smirk on her voice.

As Cara finishes up the order, I observe Ashley for a moment. She's an attractive girl, definitely seems cool with her choice of clothing (black skinny jeans, a short white top, and an old-looking denim jacket. She has sunglasses propped up on her head, holding some of her blonde hair out of the way, meaning she's probably been wearing the outfit all day. I grin when I notice the way she watches Cara with a small smirk on her face, though not a malicious one. It's a kind and caring lop-sided smile. I have a feeling that these two have been 'talking' longer than Cara let on.

"Y/n!" Someone calls out as Cara hands me my hotdog, already having given Camila hers. My head whips around at the sound to see someone I never thought I'd see again.

"Lauren?" I frown in response.

Camila tenses beside me, growling, "What's she doing here?"

"I don't know, I didn't know she'd be here," I mutter back before the woman gets close enough to pull me into a hug.

"Hey, how ya been?" She smiles broadly, making me chuckle awkwardly as I pat her back and step out of her embrace.

"Hey, Lauren. Um... nice to see you again." I greet in return, rubbing the back of my neck nervously.

"What's going on?" I hear Ashley whisper, Cara shooting back a shrug.

"Lauren," Camila states beside me, bringing the attention to her.

"Oh, Camila! Hey! Long time, no see." Lauren grins, now obviously aware of why there's tension in the air as she shifts on her feet, pointing between the two of us when she adds, "Are you two...?"

"Yep." I nod, grimacing, "She's my girlfriend."

"Oh. How long?"

"Not when we, uh-" I gesture between myself and Lauren, already looking like a tomato and only growing redder, "After."

"What are you doing here?" Camila asks in a surprisingly polite tone, apparently directing all of her other feelings into how tightly she holds my hand.

"Just passing through. The girls and I are doing a sort of tour thing with the band, more of a road trip to be honest." She chuckles, "Do you guys live here?"

We both nod as Camila snakes her arm around my waist and pulls me into her side, taking a bite of her hotdog.

"Hey, Lauren. Can I talk to you for a sec? Babe, can I talk to her?" I question, looking up to see Camila eyeing the girl for another moment before nodding.

I snake my way out of her grasp and lead Lauren away from the group, wanting a private moment to dispel my doubts.

"What's up?" She asks when we sit on a small bench at the side of the street, looking over at me with concern.

I sigh, "We didn't, uh... do anything, did we? I can't even remember what happened and I don't-"

"We didn't." She cuts my rambling short with a chuckle, "I wanted to, don't get me wrong. But you seemed hesitant, like something in here-" She points to my chest, "was trying to stop you, and I didn't wanna push you."

I nod, letting out a breathy laugh. "That'd be Camila."

"Yeah." She agrees, looking out at the groups of people walking by, "She has a way of working herself in there."

"You still like her?"

"No, no. I mean, I miss her, of course. But I've moved on... plenty of times."

"Mhmm." I nod, then frown, "What exactly happened between you two?"

"We were friends in high school and we dated for a year after her divorce." She says matter-of-factly. "It might be out of place but, have you guys-"

"Yep," I confirm quickly not particularly wanting to get into it.

Lauren laughs, "I used to call her Squirtle just to tease her."

"No way!" I exclaim, laughing too now as odd as it feels to be discussing something like this with my girlfriend's ex.

"Yeah. I think that's a big part of the reason we broke up." She jokes, still laughing her ass off.

"Oh my god." I breathe, trying to gather myself, "That's so mean and yet so funny."

"She thought it was more of the former. You should try it sometime. See how she reacts."

"Yeah, or not. I'm gonna avoid that at all costs." I tease, watching as Lauren checks her phone which just vibrated.

"Well, I gotta run." Lauren sighs, wiping tears from her eyes after laughing as she stands, "You should ask her if we could hang out sometime. All three of us even, maybe. It'd be great to catch up."

"Yeah, I will." I nod, standing also and giving her a brief hug, "See you soon, Laur!"

"You too." She grins as she turns to walk towards a group of girls.

When I turn around to head to mine, I'm faced with a snickering Cara, a nervous looking Ashley, and a very angry Camila. Shit.

Oops