37. You won't be able to protect them forever

So, I'm definitely going to be busy this weekend, so I don't know if there will be any updates this weekend. I'll try though.

Thirteen's POV 

Garrett's expression hardens and he stares at me, daring me to make a move. I don't. I stand still and tense, waiting patiently for what I know is going to come.

His eyes narrow as he reads my expression. He was expecting me to be cooperative. He was expecting me to be submissive. He wasn't expecting me to fight against him. He pulls his gun from its holster and aims it at Sam.

"Make a move," He says lowly, daring me to do it. I don't have to.

I hear a loud pounding on the door behind me. Followed closely by yelling.

"Housekeeping!"

The door is thrown open with a loud crash. And I hear the clicking of heels as she walks in at a leisurely pace. Her crossbow in her hands and aimed at Garrett. There's a deadly smile on her face.

"Don't worry," Lily says. "I've come to take out the trash."

I see the anger in his face, the frustration as he tries to figure out how she managed to get out. I notice Devin put his hand on his gun, unclipping it from the holster.

"Excuse you," She says sharply, eyes on Garrett. "But he still owes me a cake." She gestures to Sam before once again leveling her crossbow at Garrett, her expression deadly. "And you still owe me for the bullets you put in my chest."

"I'll be glad to repeat the past," Garrett says.

"Well, then I guess I should start with knocking you on your ass." Lily shrugs. "And then I can start with new memories, like how I'm going to paint the walls in your blood."

"Devin," Garrett calls out and Devin straightens away from the wall, looking completely bored. "I think it's time Lily left the party. After all, she wasn't invited. Escort her out."

"To dinner or? . . ."

Garrett looks beyond annoyed as he shoots a look Devin's way. Lily smiles and I keep from giving anything away. Besides that little remark, Devin stays in character.

"Right, right," He says. "Shall I toss her down the incinerator when I'm done with her?"

"If you do, I'd prefer to be there. And I'd prefer to toss her in alive."

Devin nods seriously as if totally in agreement. "So, I guess I'll be needing a pair of cuffs then." He makes a show of patting all his pockets, coming up empty. He looks to me, a spark of mischief in his eyes. "Well, I can just use hers. Thirteen would you hand me your cuffs please?"

"Of course," I reply as I hold out my hand and hand him the unlocked handcuffs.

Garrett fires his gun. He swears loudly as he pieces together what's going on. Lily fires her crossbow. She swears loudly when she misses Garrett because he jumps out of the way.

Devin charges Garrett with Lily close behind him. I don't stick around to watch and run over to Sam, pulling a knife from my boot. I begin cutting at the ropes holding him down.

"Sam," I say as I look over him, my voice barely a whisper. He doesn't move and makes no motion that he even heard me. I suddenly notice his lack of hearing aids.

"Shit," I mutter as I cut away the last of the ropes. I put my hand on his neck to check his pulse and my wrist is grabbed roughly, his fingers tightening around my wrist to the point of breaking it.

His eyes are closed and they stay that way, I can't tell if it's his subconscious that's lashing out, or if it's actually him, but either way, a broken wrist is the last thing I need to deal with right now. I put my other hand on his shoulder and shake him, his eyes fly open and for a second I think he's going to attack me. His eyes finally focus and his grip loosens when his eyes land on me.