t h i r t y - f o u r | s k y e

t h i r t y - f o u r | s k y e 

FEAR BEYOND ANYTHING Skye's ever felt before makes his mind unable to think or focus, his body thrumming with energy that he's unable to use

FEAR BEYOND ANYTHING Skye's ever felt before makes his mind unable to think or focus, his body thrumming with energy that he's unable to use. It causes his limbs to shake, a pressure to sit on his chest, and his heart to pound painfully as he stares at the start of the end of the world unfolding before him.

Lana looks oddly small as she stands in front of them. Her face is streaked with dirt and blood, turning her skin a shade darker than usual, making her look gaunt and exhausted. Her hair sticks out of the braid coiled down her back, and she hunches over slightly as she stands unevenly, her face expression twisted with a look of pain. She studies them for a long moment, her eyes wide in shock, and she only gives small glances his way, getting more and more tense as her gaze meets his.

Run Lana!

He tries to go to her. Try to move at all, but Arlo's grip tightens around his body and his knife is pressed tighter against his throat. He can't move. Skye's helpless. He can only stand there, watching Lana, alone, as she goes up against the Morai. Unbelievable panic rushes through him at the sight, like a roaring river flowing through his veins as a single thought runs through his head: I can't lose you.

The gravity of that thought hits him like a ton of bricks. It's stronger than when Lana's lips were against his, or when he was holding her in his arms, or when he thought he had lost her forever. The thought that Lana means the world to him and...he's in love with her and he might lose her. Skye would rather die than let her get hurt at his expense.

Run, Lana! Please.

Instead of moving back, Lana clenches her jaw and raises her chin with a proud and determined disposition, her hands held in front of her with golden magic shining from them.

Skye can't resist crying out now. "No! Lana, go!"

Her gaze flickers over to him, her fierce expression slipping for a second before a strong wave of magic surrounds him and suddenly his world turns red, his body is engulfed in pain. Skye can't breathe or think and he can feel his body being held up by Arlo, and someone yelling, but it's as if he's underwater, drowning in agony.

Then, just as swiftly as it descended upon him, the pain is lifted like a fog and suddenly everything is clear. He's hanging limply from Arlo's grip, the knife no longer pressed against his neck as Arlo uses all his strength to keep Skye upright. Skye tries moving his body, and slowly but surely he's able to struggle against his grip, but as he does he feels the familiar metal blade return to its place on his neck.

He immediately straightens up, and as he does he notices Lana looking at him, horrified, and she no longer has any control over her magic. It crackles through the air like small bolts of lightning, and her hands are curled into glowing fists.

"I can burn his body away with magic," Vyanna says softly, and Lana turns to glare at her murderously but with a hint of fear. "I can kill him, slowly and painfully, unless you do as I ask. Open the portal to the Shadow Lands, Lana."