25. Is All Well?

Eric was sitting on the couch with Jennifer's legs spread across his lap while watching her favorite TV-show. The smell of mint chocolate chip ice cream stung his nose but at least Jennifer was here and happy. He knew he'd forgiven her too fast when they had gone back to normal merely a few days after her return home, but wasn't this what he had wanted? She had been so sweet when he'd invited her over to talk; she'd begged for his forgiveness for leaving him and said that on her trip she had come to realize how much she loved him – just as he'd hoped she would.

Not soon after that they had slept together and even though it was far too soon Eric had seen it as a big middle finger to any man she'd been with during her single time – Eric had only shared one kiss with Florence. Speaking of Florence, he hoped the showing of hers and Adam's documentary had gone well and that she'd read his letter.

Jennifer had been less than pleased with his newfound friendship to Florence and had rudely asked him to sever any contact he had with her, to which Eric had passively changed the subject. They had agreed on staying focused on working things out but he wasn't so sure if it was worth it if he couldn't speak to Florence ever again.

"What are you thinking about, honey?" Jennifer said and fed him a spoon of her ice cream; he swallowed the gross content and tried not to show his distaste.

"It's just a work thing, nothing to worry about." He answered and plastered on a smile.

As soon as her attention was back on the TV Eric continued daydreaming and his thoughts quickly reached Florence. He hadn't spoken to her in quite a long time now and he missed her terribly. A night like this he would've probably spoken to her for a few hours before bed and then ended up texting her during midnight hours anyway. The last thing he expected was to be back on this couch with Jennifer eating mint chocolate chip and watching 'This is Us'.

"Hey sweetie, it's your phone," Jennifer nudged him but before he picked it up from the table she grabbed it and looked at the display, "it's Anna."

Slightly annoyed he smiled and nodded to her before answering, "Hey Anna is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine, I just wanted to tell you everyone loved the music I scored for Florence and Adam's documentary, and I even got a few phone numbers!"

He smiled, "I'm proud of you not that I'm surprised because I knew you'd ace it, did you give the letter like I asked you to?"

"Yes I did, but...I don't know if she'll read it. Hey I called for another reason as well,"

"What's up?" He asked and sat up straight.

"I-I invited Florence to my goodbye party," Anna waited for a reaction but all Eric could do was sit there with his mouth open, "She told me she would come but obviously it makes things awkward because of, well Jennifer. I'll try my best to keep all of you apart but I'm not compromising on this; I want her there."

Eric was stunned into silence and gently moved Jennifer's legs aside to take the call in the bedroom. A mixed sensation of excitement and horror filled his stomach knowing that he was going to see Florence sooner than he'd expected even though they'd most likely keep conversations at a minimum.

"O-okay I mean if that's what you want I-I can't tell you no. I'll figure out how to tell Jennifer about it somehow, she's not going to be happy about it." He mumbled.

"It's my goodbye party Eric, if she doesn't like it tell her to—"

"—language please!" Eric quickly interrupted.

Anna was quiet for a little while and then she said, "I'm thinking about setting her up on a date with this guy I met at her documentary preview, maybe that'll make Jennifer more comfortable."

A thorn edged itself in Eric's heart at the words she said and hoped she was joking. Not only was he going to be at a party with a friend he couldn't talk to but she was going to come with a date?

Never.

"Why on earth would you do that?!" He exclaimed a little too loud.

"I don't know, she deserves to have some fun and it'll help you, wouldn't it?"

"I suppose so...just don't force her to do it if she doesn't want to, okay?" Eric hoped Florence would laugh at the idea and refuse it immediately.

He hung up the phone and returned to the couch where Jennifer had fallen asleep on the sofa. He smiled and did his usual routine: he carried her to bed, put back the ice cream in the freezer and sat down to catch one of his many shows while wishing Florence was a text away to accompany him.

*

It was a relief to be back at work the same week as Anna's goodbye party. After being cooped up in the apartment with Jennifer and going through endless talks about how to better themselves in the relationship he was exhausted. He needed to be amongst people again and especially his friends, which is why he'd asked Travis to take a long lunch with him that day.

"I'm grateful you could spare me some time, I thought you and Jen were connected at the hip nowadays." Travis said with a sour tone.

Eric knew Jennifer's return would disappoint Travis but his attitude was a bit harsh. He ignored the comment and took a large bite of his hamburger to delay speaking.

"I've never talked about my feelings for this long before, I'm glad to be back at work again. How are you and Chloe doing?"

"Chloe is quite the vixen to be honest, she challenges me...and I like that about her. I'm thinking about asking her out for her birthday in a few months."

"Wow, things are getting serious, are they?" Eric smiled.

"Too soon to tell but it might getting there. I would ask you to join us but I doubt Florence wants you there." Travis said and soon realized what he'd said, "I'm sorry dude, I didn't mean to sound so cruel."

Eric felt the jab to his heart each time he was reminded of his absence from Florence. Everything had gone so well before Jennifer's return and now...he wasn't sure if her homecoming was enough to make up for not speaking to Florence.

"I'm sure it won't be forever, Jennifer will come around soon enough." Eric tried but Travis looked at him with raised eyebrows and shook his head 'no'.

"This is what I was saying before, Eric, she is trying to change you into something you're not. Who is she to tell you who you can be friends with? Next thing you know she'll tell you not to be friends with me or Michael either..."

"That's not true Travis, you might not be her favorite person but she wouldn't do that to me; she knows how much you and Michael mean to me."

"I doubt it Eric, but I'll always have your back," he said and dipped his fries in ketchup, "but one of these days you'll have to stand up for yourself and maybe even your friends."

*

Hey Florence, I hope you're well.

I know we aren't speaking right now but I wanted to tell you that I'm happy you're coming to Anna's goodbye party.

Obviously Jennifer and I will be there but I promise you that you have nothing to worry about.

Hey. I'm good, thanks.

I'm happy to be there for Anna. Me and Justin will be there.

Wait what? Who is Justin?

Florence?

Hello?

He's my date. See you at Anna's party.