Maybe Knowledge Can Beat Brawn

Request by guerrae.
Divergent AU

——————————————————

"So, who will jump?" The man said, his black jacket billowing with the wind. His eyes squinted through his hardened expression, when to his surprise, no one walked forwards to jump to their death.

"You there," he shouted, his voice carrying over the rooftops, "You jump first."

The crowd turned their faces to you, and you gulped back bile at the face your instructor was facing. He brought a scarred finger to you, to emphasise his point.

Your skin paled visibly, and all the blood rushed out of your body and pooled around your feet. You had been scared of heights ever since you were a babe, or so your mum had told you. There was no way you could-

"I-I'll jump!" A voice said from the back of the crowd. The people turned, stunned and silenced, to a boy, his thin frame covered by blue clothes of high quality, his face unsure.

"Will you now?" The instructor mocked, and the boy's lips curled, a new steely determination visible in his eyes.

"Yes," he said, confidently, "unless you wanted to?"

You could hear a pin drop; the silence was deafening. Eyes widened, and breaths caught as the instructor pursed his lips.

"I have no problem with jumping," the instructor growled, "but you will jump first."

The boy walked up to the ledge, and simply leapt, and no screams were heard.

And so the rest of you followed in close pursuit.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

"Shut up, Lacy," you scoffed, shovelling food into your mouth. Your friend laughed; her blonde hair whipped around her face as she giggled and snorted. She had lost her white gown, as you had your grey outfit, and was now donned in all black, leather present in every garment.

"No, (Y/N), I'm serious. He volunteered to jump so you wouldn't have to!" She squealed, grabbing your hands in excitement, like a 10 year old girl does, discussing ones crushes.

"Yeah, right," you murmured, your eyes catching view of something far more curious than your friend's outbursts.

The boy, whom had jumped first, was dining over a book, alone. His bangs hung solemn in his face and his plate was bare, spare for some bread and ham.

You cocked your eyebrow. First jumper was no laughing matter, and would certainly popularise you before you even talked to anyone. Yet, there he sat, completely and utterly alone.

It hadn't even occurred to you that Lacy had stopped her nattering. She nudged you, a smile but fond on her lips.

"Go on, talk to him," she urged, and you opened your mouth in objection, but she silenced you with yet more words.

"You don't have to go and stick your tongue down his throat, just talk," she pleaded, and you snorted.

"You aren't exactly the most subtle are you?" You teased, stuffing more food in your mouth.

"Candor," she shrugged, and pushed you over, so that you were squished up against the person next to you, who glared downwards through his heavy-lidded eyes. You recoiled, spread directly in the middle of the two, as to not be within shoving distance of Lacy.