CHAPTER 46: Old Flames, New Fires

VANESSA

A cup of hot coffee suddenly appeared before me. I blinked first, thinking that it was my imagination but when the image persisted, I looked at the outstretched arm and traced it back to its owner. I looked at the dark-haired man questioningly.

"You look like you could use a friend."

"A criteria that you certainly don't fulfil.", I said saltily.

He smiled,"Nice one."

It was as if he had made sure not to lose his temper while having this conversation with me.

"I can't forget the things you said in Cairo.", I said, turning away from him and recalling his insults.

"You very well know I didn't mean a word of what I said but I know I did hurt you so for what it's worth, I am sorry."

I looked up at him, a sad smile forming on his face, his eyes distant.

"I am sorry too. I knew the one thing you hated most and I did it anyway, comparing you with Blake."

"I can't say if I'll be forgiving you for that and I don't think you will forgive me either but for now, I think we can push that to the back of our minds for one night, can't we?", he persuaded me.

"Why do you even want to know? You like soap operas too much?"

"It's not about what I want. It is about what you need. You've got to talk to someone. I can send for Charlotte, if you still don't want to talk to me.", He said and gave me the coffee mug. I quietly took it, motioning him to sit beside me.

I took a sip and then asked, "You made it?"

"I did. Why?"

"There isn't enough sugar.", I smiled.

He sighed, keeping his own mug down.

"Aren't you cold?", He asked, looking at my legs, half submerged in the pool water.

"Not at all. Try it."

He hesitantly folded the hem of his pants.

"Just put your feet in the water. It's your house. No one's going to judge you."

He dipped his feet in the pool and then smiled at me in surprise, "The water is warm."

"Of course it is. I am not as lunatic as you give me credit for being."

"You are even worse.", he shook his head, a smile still dancing at his lips.

I opened my mouth to protest but he said," Before you distract me with other topics, let's get to the question I have been meaning to ask. What happened three years ago?"

"It's a long story.", I swallowed a huge gulp of coffee, nervous about recalling the night I remembered way too vividly for my own good.

"It's a long night too and I intend to go no where else. So shall we start?"

"Fine.",I smiled genuinely, "You do know I and Jacob dated, right?"

"Yeah. You told me that when we were selecting food for the partnership party.", He said, taking a sip from his cup.

"Well, things were good till we went to college. I went to London while he stayed here. When, Jennifer joined the same college that he was in, I asked Jacob to look out for her, in case she needed something. Jen and I were pretty close back then.", I sighed before swallowing another gulp of coffee.

■■■

It was Christmas Eve of 2013. Dad and Kate were attending a party while Nate was with his fiancée, Olivia. I was supposed to return a day later, on Christmas morning from Shanghai where I had been, handling a project but I quickly wound up my work and decided to give Jennifer, who had decided to stay home, a surprise.