Chapter 17 - Assumptions

XIMENA

My knotted stomach and my heart can't process any more information. My relationship with my parents is strained but they never neglected me or put a finger on me. Now listening to Jaden's story and knowing what Hannah puts Lewis and the boys through is enough to make my blood boil and freeze in my veins at the same time.

"It can't get worse than this. So much suffering and abuse at such a young age," I say.

"Unfortunately that's not how it went. This happened right before he ran away and lived on the streets. Did he tell you about that?" Charlie asks and I nod. "After they left my house, Jaden didn't attend school for weeks. Brian, Greg and I took turns going by his house to see if he was okay, but the lights were always off. When he finally appeared in school, his arm was in a cast and he would hold his ribs at sudden movements. He said Caleb, that's his uncle, took him away on vacation and that he fell down the stairs when they came back. Time went by, and the injuries kept happening accompanied by a new excuse each time. I overheard my parents talking one night when they thought we were in bed. My mom told my dad that Fiona went to beg Jaden's uncle to let her take care of him. She didn't want any compensation, he could keep receiving whatever money was meant for Jaden. He said no, of course, all to spite her and anyone who cared. She's a lioness, and against her husband's wishes she went to check on him and to bring him food. My mom and Greg's did the same to make sure he also had clean clothes and help with his homework, since Caleb wouldn't let him go out of the house. Jaden told Fiona after the stabbing incident the reason he ran away. His uncle had been selling Jaden for sexual favors to men and whenever he refused that's when the beatings happened. On a night, he heard his uncle talking with a man while they negotiated the price of spending the night with him so he escaped through a window. He didn't dare go to any of our houses after the threats our parents received and because he knew that Caleb would look there first. He slept anywhere and begged to buy food."

I feel my heart sinking to the floor at the idea of Jaden being abused and trafficked. The desperate move of running away versus losing his dignity to finance his uncle's addiction was the only solution available.

"Then a guy he met started sending him on small drug runs in exchange for food and a place to sleep. Not long after he started using them himself. Brian and I went to Greenwood by bus with the hope of finding him after hearing someone at the market saying they saw him and he didn't look well. I'm surprised that we found him in such a big city, and we were so scared by his appearance. He was so thin and unkempt, wearing a shirt that was too big for him, that later we found out it was on purpose to hide the gun in his pants. We tried to convince him to come with us to Lonstino, but he said he was fine and nothing was wrong with him. Brian could barely contain his tears on the bus ride back and I was in pain after seeing my friend, almost a brother, in that situation."

My eyes are brimming with tears. Jaden sacrificed himself for the sake of his friends and their families. He thinks so little of himself when he actually has a heart of gold.

New customers enter the café and Charlie returns to the kitchen. My coffee has gone cold. I feel fingers prying the mug from my hands and substituting it with warmth. Jessica looks at me with concern as I try to sip the coffee but it feels stuck in my throat.

"What was Charlie telling you?" She asks in a quiet voice.

"About Jaden's life."

She nods and looks around the dining area. "We all suffered with him, but that's in the past now and we all have to move on."

I consider telling her about Jaden's feelings for her but decide against it. That's for him to share when he feels ready. I now understand why he maintains a rough attitude, it's basically the last piece of dignity he has left. After leaving money on the counter and grabbing my things, I wave at Charlie and walk home with a heavy heart.