Chapter 17

A/N Just a quick note here. I have noticed that when I look at how many people have read each chapter of this story, there were 0 reads on chapter 15, but there were reads on chapter 16? If you have not read chapter 15 please go back and read it. I dont think chapter 16 makes sense without the previous chapter.
~~~
*2 months later*
Everyone knew she was meant to be the Queen. You could tell it as she made her way to a seat in the court that morning. She held herself with such grace and authority that even if you didnt like her, you were still in awe of her.

She had no emotion on her face, nothing that would betray her emotions, and she scanned the faces of the people there that morning. When she sat down she tilted her chin upwards in such a regal fashion that she did not look haughty. She looked regal.

But inside, despite the front she had put on, Azora was close to breaking down in tears. She felt like running out of the room, out of the judging gaze of her husband and the courtiers.

She had made sure to look her absoloute best, to look like the Queen her people deserved. She had dressed herself accordingly in Navy Blue, the colour of the Navalian royal coat of arms. Silver embroidery decorated the neckline and the hems of the sleeves and skirt.

Her collarbone would have been bare if not for the silver necklace that sat there. A sapphire dangled from the end of it, and anyone would recognise it as a part of the Queens crown jewels. Her hair was uncovered and braided into a crown, and nestled into it was her old tiara from her home country, amd she wore it proudly.
The court proceedings began.

"The royal court is now in session, with the case of the Royal marriage annulment."

Azora kept a straight face, but inside her stomach churned, she was not sure if it was due to nerves, or she just happened to be sick on this day, but she had to keep a straight face, she could not let him see how weak she felt.

The herald continued to speak.

"Today's proceedings will go different to usual matter. Both sides will present their arguments, and the court will decide."

Azora scoffed. She knew today would be her last day as a married woman, most people would vote for her husband's side, or risk a month amongst the vermin in the dungeons.

"His Majesty, King Kalian will now present his argument."

Kalian pulled himself out of his throne where he had been lazily lounging, he flashed a haughty grin towards Azora, and moved towards the front of the room. Everyone hushed, listening intently to his side of the story. If she guessed correctly, it would be a rather biased side.

He bowed mockingly towards where I sat, grinning widely.

"Her Majesty, Queen Azora, and I have been wed for about three summer ummers. It has not been a happy marriage, I must admit, but it has been a satisfying one." Some of the ladies giggled, and Azora went red in the face with anger. He was blatantly lying, and her Ladies in Waiting whispered darkly among themselves in frustration. One of the older ones placed a hand on Azora's shoulder in comfort. She was glad to have her ladies, even though they had not always got along. They defended her when it was needed.

The King continued.

"But during these..." He paused, tapping his chin in mock thought. "...Satisfying years, Not one heir has been born, not even a female. Therefore I must conclude that my wife is barren."

The court whispered in shock at his assumption, Azora clenched her fists, controlling herself. She must get the courts favor.

"I have not asked a doctor of this conclusion, but one must assume that when not one child is born. I understand that divorce is against the law of our holy bible, and I am fond of my wife, but this country must have an heir, I am doing this for the people, and not for my own selfish gain. I rest my case" He plopped back in his chair as the court murmured amongst themselves. The herald spoke up once again.

"Does anyone have anything to add before we move on."

It went eerily quiet before a small voice spoke up.

"I do!"

Azora twisted around to see her young Lady in Waiting, Adelaide. She stood up and moved towards the herald, glaring at the King, who now sat up, shocked and interested. She was led up the stairs and stood in front of the crowd, determination on her small face.

"I would like to protest the side of his majesty, the King." She said, her small voice gradually becoming louder with confidence.

"I would like to attest to the virtue and Kindness of my Queen, and to the lies that have come from his Majesty's mouth. My Queen is a kind, honest and caring woman, and she rules as Queen with wisdom that I have never seen in a woman before. She knows her people well, and she does what is best for her country. She has proven herself to be a ruler when her Husband was in absence, she is the one keeping the people from revolting against the monarchy. I do not believe that what is best for this country is a breeding cow, I believe that this country needs a strong leader that the people can look up to. Her Majesty has proven more than once that she is the person."

The crowd muttered in agreement, some brave courtiers even clapping and praising the young Adelaide's speech. Azora blushed at the praise she had received, whilst it was the Kings turn to clench his fists and glower. Adelaide, however, was not done.

"As to the Kings lies." She was visibly becoming angry.

"I must say that their relationship has never been, what the King described as, satisfactory. He blatantly ignores her, only ever visiting when he needs an excuse to inspect the eligible woman in her company. Our rooms are near hers, and we hear practically everything that goes on, and we know he never visits her chamber at night. In fact it is well known that their marriage was never consummated!"

Until now. Thought Azora grimly.

"The King is also known to have numerous affairs and illegitimate children. I rest my case." She shot a look towards the king who gritted his teeth.

Adelaide stepped down from the front, and sat back down in the audience. Her face was red, and she was out of breath. Azora smiled kindly at her, and pat the young girls' knee. Adelaide beamed back at her.

"Anything for you my Lady." She whispered.

The herald cleared his throat and announced that it was Azora's turn. She rose from her seat as gracefully as she could, her head spinning as she made her way to the front. She cleared her throat.

"Faithful and gracious people of Navalia, as you well know I am a foreigner in this country. I was born in the beautiful country of Cavianny. Ever since I was born, it was decided that I was marry your king, who was then a prince. This marriage is not one of love. It is a marriage of safety. The safety of our peoples. If this marriage is annulled, you will endanger not only our people, but the Cavian people. Yes I have referred to the people of this country as our people, because in the past three years, this country has become my home. I love the people here as I love the people of my home country. If this marriage is annulled a war will break out once again, just like the war that was raging 18 years ago, the one that was stopped due to the agreement of our marriage."

Azora paused.
Her stomach lurched, her head spun, and she had to balance herself against her husband's throne which was behind her. Everyone was watching her in silence. Her vision went blurry, and she began to sway. Bile came up her throat.

Then everything went black.