CHAPTER 22

Ruby St. Clair's POV

"Good morning, Red!" I was halfway from drinking my coffee when the cheerful voice of Roman invaded my privacy.

"Glad your extra jovial today after the mess you created last night. I hope you had a good sleep last night because I have none. So if it's not too much to ask I want you to stop bothering me for the rest of the day if that's okay. A good start for peace offering after our mishap."

"Too bad," he replied casually, helping himself with a cup of coffee from the machine. "That's what exactly I have in mind for today."

I eyed him dryly, enjoying my freshly brewed coffee. "I must be cursed. From the moment I met you my life became a mess. So far none of my plans had been working the way I wanted it thanks to you."

"I beg to differ, Red." He said with a serious tone, sitting next to me at the breakfast table. "It doesn't have to be working the way you wanted it. Sometimes you have to deal with the sudden turns of events and make most of the situation. Like our current situation instead of feeling bad about our secret went out in the open why don't we take this opportunity and enjoy this instead."

I scowled an eyebrow in his direction. "I don't think I follow you. What are you implying, Roman?"

He smiled gently in my direction. He surprised me when he held my hand that was resting on the wooden table. "What I am saying is that, why don't we enjoy this new life we're embarking on until it last. Instead of fighting each other almost at every opportunity. Why don't we try to live as a newly married couple as we should have?"

I shook my head almost instantly. That's a very bad idea. Very bad. "I don't think that's a very good notion, Roman. This sham marriage will not go any further. We're just going to waste our time."

He stared at me intently for a long moment before he took a deep breath. "Okay, here's the thing, sweetheart. Let's make a deal."

I rolled my eyes, trying to remove my hand from his grasp but he held it tightly. "Aren't we yet done with making deals with each other? Our mess piled up on top of another."

"Please hear me out." It was probably the first time he used that word. I almost thought he's pleading. Wow, Roman Vasquez is almost pleading to me no less.

"By all means let's hear it."

"I will make a deal with you for one last time." He said earnestly, staring deep into my eyes. "I will divorce you three months after the date of our wedding as we both agreed in the past but we still have few weeks before the said date. I want—I am hoping we're trying to make the most of those weeks together."

I looked at him warily. I am still doubtful about his suggestion. "Is that necessary? I mean, I don't think that is needed since we're going to divorce in the end. I think it is better this way so less unwanted emotions after the divorce."

Hidden emotions showed in his eyes. I suddenly felt the tug in my chest. "To tell you the truth after last night it made me think what it feels like to experience having a large family. My father died when I was still young and it's only been me and my mother since. I want to feel what it feels to belong on a big family even for a moment."

"If you think that would make me agree to your ridiculous suggestion you are mistaken." I eyed him darkly. "If I didn't know better I would assume you are emotionally blackmailing me."

"I swear I am not."

I studied him for a moment but I just regretted it instantly. I just realized how sinfully handsome he was upon studying his face intently. "What will I get from this new set-up of ours if I agree?"