† Chp. XXVII †

† Chp. XXVII †

 XXVII †

___

She was 12 years old when she received her bow.

The girl tossed another stick into the fire as she watched the vivid flames dance with the light breeze. Soft rustles sang from the leaves of the trees, and the young girl sighed, her mind carrying her through the memories of her past.

Treebeard rested close to the human, his deep draws of breath comforting her, reassuring the young girl that she was not alone. Isolation was indeed a fear in which she held, as without company, she feared the impact of her thoughts against her wellbeing.

Although, the woods of Fangorn did happen to lack in excitment at the absence of the White Wizard, for he was currently on a journey across the plains of Middle Earth. This was not unusual, as the wizard often took trips away from Isengard for reasons unknown to the young girl, however he was never gone for too long.

The most amount of time in which the wizard spent away from Fangorn was never longer than two months, and after a journey of such length, he would always make sure to spend more time roaming the forest with the young girl before his next departure.

She always felt quite sad whenever the wizard would leave, as the stories of far lands in which he spoke of never seized to amaze her, nor did the magic in which he possesed. She always felt at home with the White Wizard. He fulfilled the roll of a father in which the young girl had lost so many years ago.

Whilst tossing another twig into the flickering flames, a snapping stick grabbed the girls attention, and she instinctively reached for the handle of her dagger, slowly raising from her seat. A disturbance within the foliage had failed to wake the sleeping ent, however the young girl stood alert, as her hazel eyes scanned the forest for movement.

A figure could be seen sauntering between the gnarled trunks, it's white features reflecting the light of the moon, and a grin immediately etched onto the young girl's face as placed her dagger back into her belt.

"You're late, Manny." She retorted, crossing her arms as the silhouette became illuminated by the warm glow of her fire.

"A wizard is never late, little bear. Nor is he ever early."

"He arrives precisely when he means to." The girl cut the white wizard off, smirking as she stepped forward to embrace the cloaked figure.

"An old friend taught me that saying." Saruman remarked, returning the girl's gesture with a one-armed squeeze. The young girl grew curious as the wizard seemed to be keeping one hand behind his back.

"Where did you go this time? I'm expecting you to tell me all about it!" She exclaimed, eagerly jogging back to her fire and taking a seat, her eyes shone with curiosity and wonder.

"Lindon, an elvish kingdom beyond the blue mountains. A land of both cultural and spiritual importance amongst the elven race." The white wizard informed, rather amused by the girl's excitment as he slowly stepped forward. "The earth in which this kingdom was founded upon survived great floods brought by the War of Wrath. It is a rather astounding place."

The young girl closed her eyes as she imagined a kingdom of gleaming white pillars, the soft ripples of a large lake wrinkling through clear water as it reflected the immense sapphire shade of the sky.

"I wish I could have seen it." She sighed, opening her eyes to gaze into the dancing flames. "It sounds amazing."

The White Wizard took a seat on the fallen log, revealing his left hand and the slender object in which it weilded.

"I do not bear the ability to show you the land of Lindon. Although, I have brought a piece of Lindon to you."

The young girl's eyes grew wide as she observed a wooden bow, it's dark timber shining with a fresh coat of wax. Carved into the body of the bow was the symbol of a bear, the crevices filled with gleaming gold.

She reached out to grip the weapon, awe and wonder swirling with in her amber rimmed eyes. Running her fingers along the glimmering details, she observed her gift in complete wonder.

"It is a bow of the high elves, created for accuracy and distance. This weapon lies amongst the strongest bows in all of Middle Earth." The White Wizard stated, softly grinning at the girl's display of astonishment. "I requested the weapon to be specifically crafted for you, little bear. It is rather tall for your height, but you will grow to match the size."

Carefully resting her new weapon against the log, the young girl scooted across, tightly embracing the wizard as an act of appreciation.

"It's perfect!" She exclaimed, her voice muffled by his white cloak. The wizard chuckled, resting his arm over her broad shoulder.

"I soon expect you to be the greatest archer in all of Middle Earth, little bear." He remarked, and the girl pulled away, sending him a sly grin.

"And that I will be, only because you said so." She replied, once again lifting her bow to examine every detail.

After that night, the young girl would practice archery for hours on end. Not only did she enjoy the sport, she wished to make the wizard proud.

She considered the sorcerer to be a gift from the heavens. Due to his presence, she received a figure of protection and inspiration in which her parents had displayed so many years ago. The ents were another contributer to her wellbeing, however relating to the wizard proved to unfold more naturally over relating to a tree.

The White Wizard had gifted the girl with fatherly affection in which she had grown to miss, for he guided her through life, growing her character and teaching the young girl morals.

For that, she would be ever grateful, and ever fond of her divine companion.

She was 12 years old when she learnt the presence of the White Wizard was a gift in itself.