What Lurks In The Shadows

The little break that were given to the newly found couple came and flew by as if it were only yesterday.
The two agents were soon back on their feet,  apparently there was recent activity of Octarian forces in one of the stations of the Deep Sea Metro. They were to arrive in early in the morning. Marie wanted them to get a head start as soon as possible.

    The subway halted as it approached the destination, the familiar sound of the metal wheels screeching against the tracks. Coral and Kai exited as the door of the train slid open.
   Coral yawned and stretched, her eyes still tired. She was never a morning person. Kai gazed at the invasion of graffiti  that was sprawled across every wall of the station.

With a worried tone, Kai whispered, " You sure this is the right station Coral? It seems pretty sketchy to me."

  She nodded, " Marie pin pointed the location to this station, it's one of the only stations that's been built on the bad parts of Inkopolis. It's been treated fairly poorly over the course of years."

  "...I can see that, let's just go look around as we were told," he said and then turned to Coral,
     " this time—together."

  She beamed at him and pecked his check with her lips, she received the sight of a tiny blush immediately after. The two giggled and then walked further into the station.

    It reeked of piss and the posters that displayed ads on the walls of the station were covered in graffiti and partially shredded. Why the hell would DJ Octavio want to ever be here? Most importantly, what did the Octarians need from a low maintained station? Perhaps some old parts of the rusty wrecked subway train that sat on the other side of the tracks of the boarding area?

   The two stayed close, no other Inklings were  in the station. Despite being open to the public 24/7 , many  have said that this  station is never used when the sun is down or merely rising for an unknown reason.

   As they made their way down a tunnel that led to escalators that barely worked, there was a suspicious  dried tiny splatter  of ink on the tiles of the floor. It was magenta.
    Kai had spotted it first, he kneeled down and observed the puddle of ink, " Come take a look at this Coral..," he called her over.
    She was not too far from him, she had been scavenging through a random pile of newspapers that must have been left without being recycled.

   She scrunched her face as she made her way over to Kai,  " Ooh..definitely Octoling ink. We know for sure that they were here then. Most likely from a few days ago by the looks of it."

  " We'll have to look around some more then," Kai muttered as he stood up from his kneeled down  position.

  They sprinted up the stairway that sat beside the escalators. No use of using the escalators since they often groaned of rusty metallic sounds.

    They circled the station for an hour, Coral began to loose her patience, she abruptly  heeled to a stop and turned her head back to Kai,
  " It's been an hour! I don't understand, what's so important here!?"

  He brushed this hair back, " I don't know, I wish I knew but my best guess is that they must have used this station as a route to escape Octavio ."

   Coral paced back and forth, determined to find out the answer," Yes..that would make sense.. but how?"

" I say we start heading back to the boarding area before this place begins to pack with random citizens, you said this is the bad part of town, is it not?" Kai said as he took her hand.

    " Yes it is and your'e right, we should. We don't wanna get caught up in unnecessary situations with citizens. I don't want to disappoint Marie but truth be told, we couldn't find much except that speck of dried Octoling ink. We can at least confirm that they were indeed here," Coral said a she let Kai lead her back to where they had gotten off the subway.