Chapter 51

"How she been?" Clara, Lauren's mother asks as she watches her daughter quickly move around the kitchen, her tone full of amusement, yet concern. It was now a few days later since Camila's revelation, and she was round to babysit as Lauren had to pop out.

Lauren looks back with a smile as she finishes screwing the lid onto a bottle she had just pumped, "well, she's actually speaking to me again so..." she trails off with a chuckle as she places the full bottle of milk into the fridge, wiping her hands off on the front of her jeans.

Clara simply grins.

"Right, her bottles there if she's to wake up from her nap before I get back. She's coming down with a cold too so she might be grumpy. Don't take that personally. And please mom, if she's to act out, put her in the corner and wait till I get back, okay?" She reaches for her leather jacket that was over the back of one of the four dining chairs and shrugs it on, reaching back and pulling her out of the back.

Clara nods, "I won't ever punish her again physically Lauren" her voice was full of sincerity, showing that she obviously regretted her actions the last time she lashed out at her granddaughter.

Lauren smiles and pulls her mom in for a quick hug, "I know" she murmurs.

"Mama?"

Lauren releases her grip around her mother and turns around in place, "hi peanut. What are you doing up already?" She takes the tiny girl into her arms, feeling her return the grip by wrapping her arms around her waist.

"Want mama" was Camila's reply as she lets go of the woman's waist and reaches up.

Lauren lets out a playful sigh and grasps the girl by the underarms before hoisting her up onto her hip, "you know mama has to go out for a little while right? And that grandma's gonna look after you until I get back?" She's careful with her words, almost as if she was still expecting the girl to get upset despite being warned about this earlier.

Camila nods, "jus' wan' snuggles" she whispers, clinging tightly Lauren by wrapping her legs around her waist.

"Alright baby, and mama will give you lots and lots of snuggles when I get back, okay? We'll snuggle in bed and put on a movie, any one you like" She soothes, wanting to avoid any tears.

The small girl reluctantly releases her legs from around her mama's waist, but Lauren, not quite ready to let go continues to hold her close by her waist, "nurin' too mama?" She rests her head on her shoulder, her hand absentmindedly playing with the hair at the nape of her neck.

"Of course my love, now, I need you to be a good girl for grandma, okay? Can you do that for me?" She gives her baby a soft squeeze before easing her down onto her feet.

"Yes mama"

"And what will my baby do if she needs a change?" Lauren gently pushes, pushing a strand of the girls serious bedhead out of of her face.

"As' grandma" a sudden shy Camila murmurs, stepping forward so could bury her face into her mama's chest.

Lauren gently rubs her back a few times, "that's right, good girl"

After one last hug and kiss and a wave goodbye to her mom, she was out the door, closing it softly behind her.

*

Camila and Clara make the most of the hour they have together. They watch an episode of her favourite show, blues clues, they play a quick game of hide and seek, and the small girl even manages to settle on her grandmas lap whilst she was fed her bottle.

It wasn't long before Lauren walks back through the front door, and she smiles at the sight of her dozing baby snuggling with her mom. Setting down her purse and hanging up her jacket, she wonders into the living room and eases herself down onto the couch.