Chapter Twenty-Six

Another two days had passed. For whatever reason, Caden had not sent out more men to search for Suzanna - or, at least, they had not succeeded. Suzanna hardly left the cottage, spending her time looking after Wilson. Izah's saddle bag contained a few coins and Suzanna had managed to sneak into the village in order to purchase food supplies. Her distinct hair had remained tucked away under a cloak.

From the chattering of the villagers, it sounded like Caden - or Wilson, as they still called him - had recovered from his head injury. The news made Suzanna feel a little better about causing him to fall unconscious. There were whispers that someone had been seen outrunning the Duke's men, but no one seemed to be sure who that mystery person was.

When Suzanna had returned back to the cottage in the woods, Wilson was once again awake. He did not try to move from the bed. Suzanna had managed to cook a stew - not particularly flavoursome, but hearty enough to help strengthen him. She helped him eat when he did not feel strong enough to sit up or hold the bowl himself. Suzanna tried not to let it show how terrifying and worrying it was seeing him so unwell.

During the first day, Suzanna had explained how she had ended up at the duchy. She told Wilson she had already discovered about Caden impersonating him but she did not go into much detail. She tried not to mention Samuel very much for fear that she would reveal how she felt about him. It did not feel right admitting everything to Wilson when he was already coping with so much.

As she fed him the next morning, though, she realised he would need to know soon. Wilson's strength would start returning. Caden would have to face Wilson or Tristan eventually. When it was all over, would Wilson still ask to marry her?

On the second day, Wilson managed to stand by himself for a few minutes. The action tired him out greatly, but his smile at the end comforted Suzanna. He was still in good spirits.

The next morning, Suzanna woke up after hearing a loud sneeze. She sat up quickly and looked over to the bed. Wilson gave her a wry smile.

"I am sorry, I did not mean to awaken you."

She shook her head. "It is no matter," she answered as she stood up, folding her blankets neatly.

"Suzanna, we cannot stay here forever," Wilson pointed out.

"I know," she replied, pursing her lips. "When you are strong enough we will leave and find help."

"Caden will look for us soon."

Suzanna flinched. "How do you know?"

"I know my brother. He probably does not think anyone found me - he will look for my... body," Wilson finished solemnly.

"Not to mention, I am worried about Sarah," Suzanna said sullenly. The guilt had been eating away at her. What if Caden had harmed Sarah as punishment for Suzanna escaping? Could Sarah ever forgive her for leaving?

Wilson did not have anything to say. She knew it was because he could not promise that Sarah was not hurt.

In the distance, Suzanna heard a shout. She did not pay too much attention to it as she was used to the noises from the village people. The sound often carried through the trees and reached the abandoned cottage.

"What if we were to-" Wilson began. Suzanna held up her hand, silencing him. She ran to the door and swung it open, listening.

She could hear more sounds now - cries and exclamations. It sounded chaotic. She frowned. What could be happening?

"Do you hear that?" she asked.

"What is it?" Wilson asked from his bed.

Suzanna looked back out the door. "I hear shouting in the distance."