38-Lowlife

Laura was at home when the news broke. She was with her newborn son Nathaniel. Clint was off grocery shopping, the other two kids were at school. She was all by herself as she watched Peyton Stark speak on television. She had always admired how Peyton held herself. Her burgundy pantsuit was impeccable, her makeup was perfectly done. Peyton looked like she was ready to walk a red carpet. The admiration sooner stop when she opened her mouth.

"We all know why we are here today. I need to clear my name because it has been getting dragged through the mud because Clint Barton recently released a statement about the video that was released over two months ago. I wasn't going to comment on this video, but Barton decided he had to. And since it was only video, Clint could say whatever he could say. No audio was released so he could say whatever. Now I can tell you what actually happened, or I can play the video with the audio. I thought you guys would enjoy the latter. So please, enjoy." She says and the lights in the room dim on screen. The camera zooms in on the screen. That video, the video of Laura's husband hitting Peyton starts to play, but this time there's audio.

"Hey." That was her husband's voice. No doubting that.

"Get out."

"Pey, listen-"

"No. You do not get to come in here and pretend that everything is fine! You do not get say "Pey listen,"!"

"Peyton, please."

"I told you that we were done. We are done. I don't understand why you don't fucking understand that." Wait did she say "we were done"? Laura started to get a sinking feeling in her stomach.

"I understand that you're pissed-"

"That's an understatement, Barton. A fucking understatement."

"I don't understand why you thought I would hear you out. You're a fucking idiot for thinking that things would be fine. Oh and I'm fine by the way. I know you know what happened, but you don't care. You wanted me to get rid of it regardless." Get rid of what? What the hell was she talking about? Why did her husband look so guilty?

"Calm down-"

"You do not get to tell me to calm down. You weren't there when I woke up covered in my own blood. Tony found me screaming. You weren't there when they told me I had lost my baby. You didn't console me. You didn't even fucking call. You didn't do shit because it was just a problem, right? A problem you left me to deal with on my own. So fuck you, Clint Barton." No. No no no. A chill shivered down Laura's spine. Was Peyton Stark insinuating that the baby she miscarried was Clint's? That's not true. Clint loved Laura and he couldn't just do that to her.

"You didn't seem that fucking upset when you were all over, Cap." Why did he sound jealous? He shouldn't be jealous of what Peyton Stark did with who.

"No no, you don't get to act like I cheated on you, Clint. We are done and we were done when I danced with Steve. You don't get to act all pissy because I'm not there to suck your cock anymore, Clint. I don't fucking need you. So stop being a little bitch and grow the fu-" The sound of the slap is loud, almost deafening to Laura. All the color drained from her face. He had cheated on her. When news of the miscarriage came out, Laura was pregnant still. Laura felt like she needed to puke as she covered her mouth with her hand. The camera zoomed out and focused on Peyton once more. Laura wanted to shut off the television, but she couldn't. It was like a bad car crash. She couldn't stop watching.

"I wouldn't have sex with Clint Barton because we had terminated our relationship after I had told him that I was pregnant with his child and he had told me to get rid of it. I wouldn't have sex with him and I wouldn't talk to him so he slapped me. My words were harsh, yes, but I had every right to be mad at Clint Barton. He had no right to slap me." Peyton's voice was even as she blinked away tears. Laura leaned against the couch, her eyes focused on the television.