fifty-eight

||CHAPTER 58||
《¤》

It was a miracle that I didn't take a leave the next day. Mondays are usually horrible, now imagine that with me suffering an almost heart break. Was this even heart break?

Was anything ever real between us?

Vansh's voice kept repeating itself in my mind, like a formula I'd never learn to use. I was not addicted to Vansh Mehra, but it would be a lie if I said I never looked for an opportunity to be closer to him.

Whatever this was, I was not letting it take the centre stage in my life. I was just sixteen, what was it with investing myself in a guy anyway? I was going to be alright. Hell, we hadn't even really kissed, so getting over him was going to be easy.

Ideally.

But even real gases don't follow the ideal curves of thermodynamics, what was I but a mere sixteen year old girl who barelh revised her lessons?

It was during our chemistry period when I was giving myself a pep-talk whilst our Sir interactively pranced around the classroom to teach us the laws of thermodynamics, and I was ingraining them into my life. I had officially stepped into the world of insanity.

"Aaj bus me kyoo nahi aye tum dono?" Ishita whispered, referring to me and Arnav.

I was doodling on my chemistry book. "Late ho gaye the."

"Oh haan, you had dinner with the Mehra's right? How was it? Deets bro!"

If things had turned out differently, I would have shared her excited state (excuse the pun). But I bit my lip, and heaved a sigh. "It was normal. Nothing specific."

I could feel her eyeing me warily. "Something's wrong. What's up?"

"You, Ms. Gupta. For not paying attention in class," Our sir gave her a clipped smile. Ishita was his favourite target, and she cursed him under her breath while standing.

Ten minutes later, the bell rang.

Vansh Mehra was the first to dash out of the classroom.

My cheeks felt funny again, but I was not going to cry.

¿¤?

It was our practical period during P.E., but I had excused myself to sit on the bleachers and watch everyone else sweating profusely and curse me a death. I didn't care before, and that was hardly going to undermine a change. I had tried hard to keep the red out of my eyes and the cold out of my voice. Funny how a night of wailing and crying could make someone sound and look like a zombie.

But I wasn't going to think about it. So what if things didn't work out with Vansh? He possibly wasn't the only guy who could create theories about me, right?

"Looking for something, Deewani?"

I jumped at the voice, but then recalled that this place was someone's hideout too. He was peering from between the two levels of seats, standing slightly stooped, below the bleachers.

"Your absence would be great for starters," I replied.

"Ouch," he chuckled. "Someone's in a bitter mood."

"Obviously," I said, referring to the fact that I was sitting instead of accompanying my classmates.

I had thought the conversation ended there, because Mickey disappeared after that. But clearly, I was wrong. Not even a minute later did he swing up the stairs to sit a few feet away from me, still in a conversational range.