Chapter Twenty-Four | First World

[ 24 ]

The scene of the little master and the little servant embracing was what greeted the older of the two other servants, when she came tottering along. Her expression naturally warmed at the sight, now feeling hesitant to interrupt such an innocent exchange.

But given the situation, there was no avoiding it. "Young master, forgive my intrusion." She spoke guiltily, making Guang Bai recoil as if they had been doing something taboo, whilst ShuNing turned his attention to his other assistant.

"Is something wrong?" He asked, concerned.

"The chief advisor, Kang Guiren, is at the gate." She revealed to the surprise of the two youths in front of her. Guang Bai jumped to his feet, conducting himself as any other servant would, making ShuNing pout. He was enjoying the squishy-ness of his little bun.

"Truly?" ShuNing also stood up, grasping his book in his hand and made his way across the courtyard and towards the entrance to the little estate. "Mm, go prepare some more hot tea and our best biscuits." He instructed and when the female servant went to leave ShuNing realised something— something horrific!

"Wait—!" Which made both servants look at him with looks of panic.

"Not our best biscuits...our second best." He emphasised, feeling good about his decision. Whilst ShuNing smiled to himself, both servants glanced to one another, now very used to their little glutton of a master. Nevertheless, both turned away with smiles on their faces.

Guang Bai obediently tottered after the young master, and when reaching the front gate, he witnessed the young master's air make a drastic change. "Elder Kang!" ShuNing made a gesture of opening his arms to welcome to older man inside.

They already stood within the estate, a few of the chief advisors own men were stood within the threshold of the entranceway. Elder Kang wore his own winter robes that had intricate needle-work in red. His long silver hair was pulled back and styled appropriately, identifying him as a man who had just finished his official duties.

ShuNing came to a stop in front of the man and dipped his head in the formal greeting. Above him, the older man released an affectionate laugh. "I'm happy to see that you look so well, Little Shu." With that, ShuNing lifted himself and stepped closer, boldly grasping the man's hand.

"As do you, chief advisor. I feel so blessed that you have come to visit me, I just wish you had told me sooner and I would have prepared a whole feast for you."

The men standing behind Elder Kang witnessed the friendly air between the two people, and found it hard to mask their surprise. The Chief Advisor, whilst a reliable and highly intelligent man, didn't get along well with a lot of young people. He deemed them a waste of his time, and definitely those within XeClan, worthless.

They had a lot of respect for the little master who, in spite of his gentle appearance, was quite a force to be reckoned with. If such a boy was able to communicate so easily with a stubborn old man such as Elder Kang, then he was truly worthy of their praise.

"That's not necessary, little one." The older man squeezed the tender hand that fearlessly reached for his own. He found the action to be warming for his old heart, which hadn't been moved for many years.

"Then will you stay for tea and biscuits?"

The man, who had come intending to talk of important matters, felt suddenly like he had been the one invited to the little one's estate. This was, quite deliberate of ShuNing, to make sure the man had nothing but good intentions.

"That would be lovely, Little Shu."

ShuNing smiled brightly, using their clasped hands to lead the man to where he had been seated previously. The seating area had quickly been altered to accommodate a more formal guest. Both men took their seats on the intimately small seating area and easily lapsed into a pleasant conversation.