➵ VI. Accepting & Rejecting

Monday, December 18th, 2017, 9:10am

Rei's POV

My body tenses almost immediately.

Asher.

The Alpha. My mate. The one who bullied me, rejected me, and banished me.

Mate, Raven says softly.

"Hello?" Raiden calls again. "We know someone's there, we heard your singing."

I look at Zaine.

"Over here," he calls.

"I still don't like that girly voice," I mutter, standing up.

Raiden and Asher come walking through the trees beside each other. Not much has changed about their appearances, though they may have more muscle than two years ago. Asher's gaze immediately locks on me. He studies me quickly, his eyes scanning over my face.

"Mate," he says softly.

Raiden looks at him. "Really?" he asks quietly. "You said she cheated - well, tried something with someone else - not she died."

Asher's eyes fog over, and a split second later, so do Raiden's.

A few seconds later, Asher blinks and shakes his head. "Sorry," he says, looking at Zaine and I. "It's just that... Well, you're not my first mate. And I was stupid and rejected her."

I hesitate, so Zaine speaks up.

"Oh...What happened to her? Is she in your pack?" He asks tentatively.

Raiden shakes his heads. "No... We don't know where she is. Or who wanted her gone, 'cause someone faked banishing her."

"What?" I ask.

Asher scowls. "Someone tried to fake my handwriting and wrote a note saying I banished her. I didn't, and we still haven't gotten anyone to own up to it. Wait, we haven't gotten your names yet. I'm guessing Autumn Ranger and Regina Robertson?"

"Yeah." I nod. "I'm Autumn, and she's one of my best friends."

"I'm Raiden," my brother says. "This is one of my best friends, Asher."

"Alpha and Beta?" Zaine asks, pretending to be a little unsure.

Asher nods. "What's you two doing out here? Shouldn't you be at school?"

Zaine tenses, his eyes turning sad, but his expression empty.

"The redheaded girl, Kia, I think it was," I say, trying to keep my hate out of my voice and expression. "She's mates with my other best friend, Regina's boyfriend. And well... They've been together for two years, and Regina broke up with him so he'd give the Kia a chance."

"Wow," Raiden murmurs. "You didn't try to fight for him?"

Slowly, Zaine shakes his head.

"Why not? Asher asks.

He and Raiden come over and sit a few feet in front of Zaine, so I sit back down beside him.

"It's... Private," Zaine whispers. "I don't like to talk about it."

It's quiet for a few seconds. Then a few sobs escape Zaine's lips and he starts crying again, worse than before. He pulls his knees up to his chest and wraps his arms wound them, hiding his face.

His body starts changing as his power starts getting out of control. His hair repeatedly changes colours, growing longer then shortening again, and his skin ripples as his form goes from Regina's to halfway to his natural one, and back again.