Chapter 2: The Baby

I think the baby is the source of our problems.

I have not mentioned the baby yet. He is the newest member of our family. We had a good life before the baby came.

This is a big, old, drafty house. When I sit by a window, I feel a cold wind leaking right through the wall. I like playing in the dusty corners and padding up the creaky stairs. At night, there is often a blazing fire in the fireplace, and there is nothing I love more than sitting on a pillow placed near the hearth.

Before that baby arrived, we often enjoyed quiet evenings in the living room, with the TV playing. I found it amusing to watch Man sneak in and tickle my siblings from behind, reaching over the couch. Even though they are older children, as tall as he is, they would laugh and shriek.

"Nooooo, cut it out," my sister begged, doubling over while giggling. "Daddy, stop!"

"You scared the crap out of me," my brother would yelp, jumping away with a grin. "I'll get you for this. I'm too fast for you, Pops. You'd better watch your back."

When she was here, Mother liked to sit apart from the others, and as much as I loved the warmth of the fire, I often joined her. I could see how she valued me above the rest of the family, but they pretended not to notice. I was always Mother's favorite. She preferred being with me to being with the humans.

I realized something was different about Mother when I noticed how slowly she waddled around the kitchen. I thought perhaps she was putting on weight due to the fact that she rarely left the house. I have put on extra pounds over time myself. So that alone wasn't a cause for concern.

I cuddled with her at night as she grew, and her expanding belly gave me a nice pocket of warmth to snuggle into, right by her chest. I didn't think about it too much, until one night something in her stomach jabbed me in the ribs. It hit me all at once.

Of course, a baby! She was pregnant. I couldn't believe I hadn't figured it out earlier.

Mother has always taken comfort in my purring, but she began hugging me in bed tighter than ever. I was happy to help out.

At the same time, I was a little confused, because my brother and sister are much older. I guess I just wasn't expecting another sibling. I thought I would always be the baby of the family.

Around the time I recognized Mother was pregnant, Man began acting erratically. He seemed excited and eager to make preparations for the baby. While sprawled out on the wood floor, taking an afternoon catnap, I watched him pull down the attic door. He made many trips up the ladder, sweat coating his face. He worked hard carrying down all sorts of strange things, including a giant, ridiculous baby cage. Man was up half the night, banging and cursing and putting the thing together. But his energy was interesting to watch.

Mother, on the other hand, grew very still. She stayed in bed, even during the day. It seemed difficult for her to get up or roll over. Brother and Sister came to her with all sorts of complaints. I scowled at them, and hissed when they flew at her too quickly. I didn't like them bothering Mother when she was tired.

Most worrisome, sometimes Mother didn't even have the energy to lift her head. I was so worried about her. As much as I loved to lie with her, I started to wonder if something was seriously wrong.

In fact, the only thing that consistently got Mother out of bed was my dinnertime. She padded her way downstairs and filled my bowls. Once in a while she would feed the other children, but not always. I was flattered and grateful, but also puzzled.

I could see sorrow and disappointment in the faces of my siblings as they watched our mother head back upstairs. I felt sorry for them.

But I also thought that perhaps the humans just didn't understand what Mother was going through. I decided that maybe she was sick, and needed a doctor. I tried to get everyone's attention, but I am limited in what I can communicate. I wanted to ask, Why aren't you helping her?