|75| distraction

Look at what the amazingly talented acklesforlife01 made for the ending of chapter 64 😱 can we fangirl for just 1 sec??

VOTE ON THIS CHAPTER AND ENJOY!
❄️❄️❄️

Taehyung and I have been in the car for a crippling two hours almost. The distance between Jaebum's mansion and the city is even greater than I imagined, only having made it off the freeway minutes ago. If it weren't for passing cars disguised as beaming twin lights and the trail of lampposts, I'd swear we were in a late-night abyss.

A pulsing, neon 24-hour sign catches my eye as Taehyung turns into a gas station, pulls up beside a dispenser and steps out to fill the tank. Instead of staying by the car he walks into the convenience store opposite.

The second he disappears my mask cracks and tears leave my eyes.

I get why he's mad... He travelled all this way only to find out one of us was dead... But he's mad at me? Or is this just the way he grieves? I don't know whether to be hurt or sympathetic... I want to say something, I feel like I should since it's all...

"...All my fault." I whimper accidentally, tears puddling into my wrists.

I still have so many questions to ask about how he found me, but it's probably too soon. I'll keep quiet like he said.

Within a few minutes Taehyung returns. I quickly sniff and turn away to wipe my cheeks when a hot, crinkly weight plops onto my lap and I look down at the rolled up paper bag heating my thighs.

I hook my finger around the opening to look inside as the car moves. A burger, nachos, orange juice and every sauce under the sun.

"I wasn't sure which one you liked..." He murmurs.

I bring myself to a slow nod and re-curl the bag. I could honestly eat a horse right now, but at the same time, recent events have killed my appetite.

Minutes go by and the only noise that fills the car are Taehyung's blood-splotched fingers tapping against the steering wheel like a ticking clock. Until—

"How..." He begins before clearing his throat. "How did he die..."

My head doesn't shift and eyes fall to my thighs as the traumatizing memories I tried suppressing now flood my mind.

"I got locked away in a room... So I tried to escape but... I got caught. Jaebum shot Bogum as punishment.

His hands grip the steering wheel tighter, veins protruding and nails threatening to tear the leather. I catch Taehyung's eyes growing glassy again in the reflection of the mirror.

"Were you there?" He croaks.

I look out the window whilst inhaling to conceal the swelling tears. "Yeah."