Chapter Seven

Four days after the ball, Emily was jarred from her sleep by a willowy nineteen year old girl jumping on top of her and shaking her awake while shrieking, "Get up! Get up!"

"What is it?" Emily said, instantly alert as she sat up in bed, bewildered. Alexandra was half in her lap, and was grinning excitedly, already dressed for the day with a bonnet that was half falling off perched on her head.

"Nate said we can go into town and go shopping for ball gowns. He's finally letting me attend my first ball next week and I need at least three for the next few. Cassie and Nate are already ready, and Kit said he'll bring Juliette and come too, so it's just you." Alexandra explained, jumping off the bed and grabbing Emily's hand to pull her out too.

Emily let herself be heaved out of her warm bed and barely paid attention to Allie as she chattered away about how excited she was. Deciding to be kind, she even let the younger girl choose her dress for the day and didn't complain even when she picked the frilliest, pinkest dress she could find. Emily could remember buying it when she was seventeen and forgot she still had it.

Ellen, Cassandra's lady's maid, helped her dress and brought her a bonnet from Cassandra's collection. It was odd to have Allie watching throughout this, but Emily was still quite used to this, having grown up as the second of three sisters.

Allie nearly bounced down the staircase once they were done and motioned for Emily to follow her to the foyer, where Cassie and Kit were fussing over Juliette. Nate was nowhere to be seen.

"Do you think she's warm enough?" Cassandra fretted, running a thumb along her daughter's cheek as she lay cuddled in Kit's arms. One of the things Emily appreciated most about her friend's husband was how much of a hands-on father he was. Most fathers simply didn't care much for child rearing, but Kit unabashedly took care of his daughter just as much as Cassandra did. They barely took the help of the maids when it came to caring for her and they did not have a nanny at all.

"She's fine, love." Kit promised, chuckling softly. "She's swaddled in blankets and I have her close. It isn't even a cold day, so she shall be perfectly alright."

Cassandra nodded reluctantly and stepped back slightly. Emily averted her eyes as Kit leaned forward to press a quick kiss to his wife's lips, in response to which she smiled widely. At this, Allie cleared her throat to make their presence known and the couple stepped back from each other slightly.

"Are you two ready?" Cassandra asked, adjusted the ribbon of her bonnet. "Nate just hurried to his study to find his pocket watch. He should be returning soon and then we can leave."

"I'm here, I'm here." Nate called as he hurried down the steps. "I'm sorry for the delay."

"It's alright. I do want to be home in time for Juliette's luncheon, though." Cassandra replied.

The butler opened the door for them and they stepped out. The village was only a short walk away, so they had decided against a carriage. Nate offered Emily one of his arms and Allie the other and they walked in a procession behind the other three, with Cassandra pausing to check and see if her daughter was alright every other minute or so. It should have been frustrating, but it was actually rather endearing.

Once they had reached the seamstress's, Juliette began fussing in her father's arms and Cassandra appeared torn between staying out with her daughter and looking at gowns.

"Shall I take her for a short walk?" Nate offered, "I won't be any good inside and I think a little bit of fresh air shall do both Juliette and I some good."

"Thank you so much, Nate." Cassandra said gratefully, and Kit nodded in agreement as he handed her off to her uncle, who held the baby close to his chest and rocked her slightly. Emily's heart tugged at the sight of the two of them together and, as much as she tried not to admit it, she knew exactly why.