32 - Feelings

I wake up hearing someone speak, "It's nothing big. Just a minor panic attack. She should wake up any minute now."

"Thank you. You're dismissed." a deep, raspy voice says sounding very professional.

I finally open my eyes slowly, looking around, I realise I'm in Chris's room. Our room.

"You're awake." he rushes to my side, sounding very happy, "I knew I was a good kisser but I didn't know that I could make anyone faint from it"

I smile only slightly, "Hey, it's not funny." i slap his arm. I notice that I'm still in my white dress and Chris is now dressed in a grey sweatpants and shirtless.

"No. It's not. You sure you're okay?" he asks sounding genuinely concerned. I nod.

"Well you need to eat, so I brought you liquidised food."

"Chris. I can eat properly. I fine. I just fainted." i say and sit up in our large bed.

"You're not fine. Now here. Eat." he passes me a bowl of custard and my mouth can't help but water.

"Thank you." I say.

I put a soon in my mouth and damn. This is nothing like I've tasted before. Its downright delicious.

I dish another spoon and hold it to his mouth, "Eat." I order

He shakes his head but I force him to open up by forcing the spoon in his mouth.

I laugh lightly at the custard that covers the one side of his mouth but he licks it off smartly.

"Chris...." i start off and get hums in response as he watches me intently. I look down at the clear bowl, "At the beach you said 'us'. And by that you meant....what? I don't know what we are and I really do want to know but I'm afraid that if I do find out and if what you say we have-whether it be something or nothing- is real, something bad might happen."

I feel his tao finger raise my chin slowly so that my eyes meet his,"I don't know what we are, Anja, but I do know that I like you a lot. No denial or hesitation. And nothing will ever happen to you or to us. I promise." he pulls my head into his chest after he puts the bowl in the bedside table.

Why do I believe him?

I snuggle closer to him and decide to lay my head comfortably on his lap,"Is it bad if I like you back. If I like you a lot?"

He chuckles deeply, "Of course not sugar, I'm quite glad that you reciprocate my feelings for you."

"Then I'm glad too."i whisper before I fall asleep again.

***

The following day I find myself sitting on the balcony of our room, eating muesli and yoghurt for breakfast. Chris is gone as in to work and I'm sitting here in one of his t-shirts eating breakfast.

All I can think about is yesterday. How kissed me and how we spoke of our feelings. I really do like him a lot.

But I sense something bad coming on.

I ignore that feeling then decide to go bake cake. I'm hungry for cake.

I move to the kitchen and make a whole lot of muffins. I top it with chocolate icing and sprinkles. By the time I'm done it's lunch time.

I walk with a whole plate of cupcakes to the living room. Then the door opens. Chris.

He's home early. I lick the icing off my finger as I make my way to the living room. "Hey" I greet him but like always, I trip over air and almost fall on my face.

If it weren't for Chris who caught me in the dip position, I'd have a broken back.

"Is that a way to greet your fiance?" he asks.

"How do I greet my fiance then Chris?" I ask highly confused.

"Why don't I show you?" I'm pulled up and spinned until my front is up against his front and my left hand is on his chest, my right occupying his.

My eyes skim his face, "Show me what?"

He doesn't answer me instead he presses his lips lightly against mine. What I like about Chris is many things but one of them is the way he kisses me.

My whole world fades and its just me and him.

When we pull away he smiles, "I'm glad you haven't fainted yet this time."

I gasp and slap his chest, "Shut up. I can't believe you're still on that."

I turn away from him still slightly in a daze from that short but splendid kiss.

"And now look what happened to my lunch." i whine, pouting and staring at my now smashed cupcakes.

I clean up the mess then take a new batch. I sit in the living room on the couch and soon enough Chris joins me dressed in a black sweatpants and a white t-shirt.

"I like seeing you wear my clothes." he says and steals a cup cake.

I don't answer since my mouth is stuffed.

"So there's another party tonight. In aid of my business partners new wife." Chris says licking the icing off his cake.

"And?"

"And I'm going tonight but you're not." he says and I swear I almost choked on my cake.

"I so am! Why am I not?"i ask.

" Because... Well.. If you do go there'll be a murder. "

I frown at that," The only person I want to murder is that slut Tiffany London. "a look of distaste covers my face.

I look at him and the look on his face says it all," She's going to be there isn't she? "

" Yeah. She's his secretary. "Chris looks away guiltily but snaps his head back to me when I say the next words.

"Then I'm definitely going."

"No."

"Not no. What if she seduces you or something?"

"I am truly flattered that you are so worried about me but you're still not going. I can't stop thousands of catfights tonight."

"I'm going, please?"

"What did she do to you anyway?" he dodges my question.

But I answer him, "In high school I was this super nerd. I wore glass's and oversized clothes. I was literally invisible but in my senior year i was noticed. By badboy Austin McLain. He was the hottest of the hot, the baddest of the bad. And yet I saw him as ordinary. I guess that's why he liked me. Tiffany was the schools most popular girl. All covered in make up. Wearing expensive clothing and she got every guy she ever wanted except Austin. No one dared to talk to him, ever. But now that I was dating him, Tiffany thought that she could threaten him, blackmail him. He kept me safe and I liked him a lot. I was happy. But that got taken away from me. I was vulnerable and naive. Tiffany said that if I don't back off from Austin, she'd make sure that he got wiped out. Austin was in a gang,drugs,guns,tattoos but he never used drugs. So I backed off but he wouldn't let me go. He said he'd take care of it and left my house in a hurry. I was crying so hard. He got back to my house hours later all bruised up and shot. He was shot. I asked him what happened and he told me everything. Tiffany's brother and gang beat him up and it was a one on eleven. She just stood there and watched. If she'd just let us be he wouldn't be gone now. I couldn't clean the wound properly because there was too much blood. I hate Tiffany London. And I am going to this party."

"So much shit happened in your life..." he mutters, "Okay. Fine. You'll go but promise me there'll be no fights."

I nod immediately, "I promise."

******