Chapter Four - Covet

Cal walked purposefully away from the crowd, taking long strides towards the pack mansion.

Katja followed closely behind him, like an obedient puppy.

She couldn't help herself as she basked in his power and glory, it sent her heart soaring into the clouds.

She had survived the pit and she had succeeded in getting the Alpha's attention.

The little niggle of annoyance at him for stepping in and "saving" her was pushed away firmly. She would allow it, once.

But she was not a pathetic pup, she could hold her own. She had been holding her own for 8 years. She wasn't about to rely on another wolf to look after her now.

Before Katja knew it, Cal had led her in through the front doors of the house.

The entry hall was humongous.

Kat was surprised that it was so bright. White marble floors met silver painted walls, arches carved into the ceiling, washed white.

A huge staircase dominated the room, one large set of stairs leading directly upwards. Smaller stairs twisted off from the main staircase, leading off to various floors.

It was like a magnificent tree, painted white.

Tia appeared at the very top, smiling broadly when she saw Cal.

Katja's stomach sank. She was beautiful, truly stunning. Kat shrank a little, behind Cal.

"I thought I felt your presence!" Tia sang, skipping down the stairs.

She ran straight to her Alpha, reaching for his hand.

Cal pulled it away sharply.

Tia's face twisted in confusion. Suddenly, she held her throat, struggling to breathe.

"Calhoun? What's wrong? What's happening?" she breathed, panicking as she clutched at her heart.

"Don't call me that, you know I hate it, Larentia." Cal growled at her, affection absent in his voice.

"I don't understand." Tia whispered, Kat could smell her heartbreak. She almost felt sorry for her.

"Tia, I have found my mate. I'll give you until the end of the day to move your things from the upper floor." Tia's face dropped, her anguish claimed the room. Tate coughed uncomfortably.

"Your mate? I'm your mate, Cal. I AM YOUR MATE!" Tia was desperate, pleading with the man she loved.

Cal considered her. He leaned forward and moved her hair away from her neck. Tia dropped her head backwards, a small triumphant smile forming on her lips.

Cal sniffed her throat and Katja was shocked to see that it was unmarked.

How can this girl say she's his mate? He hasn't marked her! Katja swallowed a laugh.

Cal leaned away from Tia, face clouded with confusion.

"Nothing." he blurted, looking at Tate. Tate returned his befuddled expression.

Tia stiffened, her eyes wide with tears.

"Nothing?" she hissed, advancing on Cal.

Cal just looked at her, dumbfounded. Tia let out a growl. In an instant she had shifted, lunging for Cal's throat. Katja's heart constricted and she stepped in front of him without thinking. She grabbed the sandy wolf by the scruff and threw her effortlessly across the room.

The impact of the wolf hitting the wall forced Tia to shift back into human form.

"Why did you do that?" Cal asked Katja, amusement in his eyes. "I could have taken her easily, myself."