( 14. ) Sensitive Topics ✓

Always, always, use warnings when writing sensitive topics into your story. I will include a list of example which you should always add a warning for at the end of this chapter. For now, let's discuss the process of writing these sensitive topics.

RESEARCH!
If you choose to have a character that had any mental illnesses, physical deformities, viruses, illness in general, (etc...), then you have to know the topic throughly. Anything you don't know, just look it up and educate yourself on the topic. Don't spend five minutes browsing google, because you won't learn anything. If it's a serious case, it needs the research done well so when you go to write it, you know what you're talking about.

DEPRESSION/BIPOLAR DISORDER
These are very sensitive topics, but are used very often in stories. I feel like, nowadays, people know better than to just say "I'm sad and I have depression" or "I have many mood swings, so I'm bipolar", but sadly that's not the case. Some people still don't know the difference and this is a big issue when those people use depression and bipolar disorders in their writings.

To discuss these topics, you don't necessarily have to go through them or experience it. Just educate yourself to the best of your abilities and if you don't understand something, simply avoid adding it into your writing.

SMUT/WOOHOO
There are some people who actually have innocent minds, believe it or not. This isn't particularly a sensitive topic, just remember to add a warning before writing smut for those who don't have to bathe in holy water daily.

BDSM—OTHER KINKS
Yes, also a sex topic. Some people enjoy it, others are disturbed by it. It's a simple topic and alike normal smut, add a warning for it by itself.

i.e; "Smut and BDSM warning"

BULLYING
For some, bullying is a very sensitive topic as they might have experienced it heavily in their lives or it affected them somehow. Do not confuse bullying with teasing. Both are wrong, however there are different levels of the issues. When writing bullying, add a warning but you wouldn't really have to for teasing.

ABUSE/DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Abuse can be categorized in many different ways, ranging from emotional/mental to physical. All forms of abuse is wrong and a very sensitive topic because it is so common, sadly. Put a warning above anything, and understand that there are steps to getting out of an abusive household/relationship and it is important to describe that in your writing when discussing this topic.

VIOLENCE/MURDER
Look, this is mainly for uncategorized books because if you select a survival book, you should already know that there is bound to be some violence and/or murder. This is generally for modern type books when discussing the death of (i.e; a friend, classmate, family member...) or, it can be for books related to activism. For example, The Hate U Give. You would have to give a warning if you are going to include anything of that level.

ANIMAL CRUELTY
I feel like this isn't talked about enough. Animals aren't usually included in books, but there are some where they blindly include detail of an animal's death or killing. Some people can't stomach that, so you would have to include a warning.

And Finally,
ABORTION/MISCARRIAGES
Abortion is a sensitive topic in general and often on debate. This isn't included in books as much as miscarriages are, but are also highly triggering for those who have went through it. To write on this, highly educate yourself of the topic if you are inexperienced.

Always add your warnings, don't cause a scene!